April 9, 2006
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The No. 4 Ohio State men’s tennis team beat Penn State 5-2 in State College, Pa., Sunday to improve to 18-1 on the year and 6-0 in Big Ten play. OSU has won six-consecutive Big Ten matches and 12 out of their last 13 in regular season play.
The Buckeyes improved its all-time series lead over Penn State to 14-5, with the Buckeyes taking the last eight meetings. The last PSU victory against Ohio State came during the 1998-99 campaign. No. 47 Penn State is now 13-3 on the year and 3-3 in the Big Ten.
No. 83 Devin Mullings (Jr. Freeport, Bahamas/Ft. Lauderdale Prepatory) was the highest seeded singles player to collect a win for the Buckeyes. Mullings defeated Ryan Berger 6-2, 6-2 in route to his 20th singles win of the season at the No. 3 spot. Fellow ranked junior No. 76 Chris Klingemann (Bradenton, Fla./Texas Tech Independent) had his six-match win streak at No. 1 singles snapped. Klingemann lost to Mark Barry 6-3, 3-6, 1-6. Reigning Big Ten men’s tennis player of the week Ross Wilson (Sr. Toledo, Ohio/Toledo St. Francis de Sales) won his match against Adam Slagter at No. 5 singles to improve his season singles record to 18-5.
In what has been a staple for the Buckeyes this season, OSU earned the doubles point after winning all three sets. Ohio State seniors Wilson and Scott Green (North Canton, Ohio/Hoover), the nation’s No. 2-ranked doubles team, defeated Mark Barry and Adam Slagter 8-6 at the No. 1 doubles spot for the pair’s 23rd doubles win of the year. Green and Wilson have a season record of 23-2 and 17-1 in dual play. Mullings and Klingemann won their match against Ryan Berger and Bradley Hunter 8-7 at the No. 2 doubles spot. Bryan Koniecko (Fr., Long Island, N.Y./Syosset) and Drew Eberly (So., Lake Forest, Ill./Lake Forest) combined to beat Malcolm Scatliffe and James Dwyer 8-6 at the No. 3 doubles spot to round off the sweep. Up next, the Buckeyes travel to Michigan State April 15 before taking on Michigan April 16. The Buckeyes next home match is against Northwestern April 22.
No. 4 Ohio State 5, No. 47 Penn State 2
1. No. 110 Mark Barry (PSU) def. No. 76 Chris Klingemann (OSU/18-6) 3-6, 6-3, 6-1
2. Malcolm Scatliffe (PSU) def. No. 49 Bryan Koniecko (OSU/17-11) 2-6, 6-3, 7-5
3. No. 83 Devin Mullings (OSU/20-9) def. Ryan Berger (PSU) 6-2, 6-2
4. Dennis Mertens (OSU/21-6) def. Michael James (PSU) 6-3, 6-3
5. Ross Wilson (OSU/18-5) def. Adam Slagter (PSU) 6-2, 6-2
6. Drew Eberly (OSU/8-4) def. Brendan Lynch (PSU) 6-3, 6-4
1. No. 2 Wilson/Green (OSU/23-2) def. Barry/Slagter (PSU) 8-6
2. Mullings/Klingemann (OSU/17-1) def. Berger/Hunter (PSU) 8-7
3. Koniecko/Eberly (OSU/14-3) def. Scatliffe/Dwyer (PSU) 8-6