COLUMBUS, Ohio – The No. 4 Ohio State men’s tennis team continued its winning ways at home, defeating No. 18 Mississippi, 6-1, Friday night at the Varsity Tennis Center to move to 6-0 on the year. The Buckeyes extended their home win streak to 116-consecutive matches, which began in 2002-03. With the win, Ohio State improves to 3-2 vs. the Rebels (2-2, 0-0) all-time.
In an ultra-competitive doubles session, Ohio State duo Matt Allare and Peter Kobelt, the 19th-ranked team in the nation, pulled off an upset by defeating the No. 2 nationally-ranked tandem of Chris and Marcel Thiemann, 8-6. Trading points the entire match and feeding off fan support, Allare and Kobelt improved to 9-1 overall in doubles play this season.
Finishing second and earning the doubles point for the Buckeyes were junior Chase Buchanan and freshman Blaz Rola, the sixth-ranked duo in the nation. The Ohio State pair downed the Rebel team of Tucker Vorster and Jonas Lutjen, 8-6. Ohio State also won the third match as Balazs Novak and Devin McCarthy were victorious over Adrian Forberg and Johan Backstrom, 8-5, moving to 5-0 as dual doubles partners this year.
In singles action, Allare was the first Buckeye to finish, beating Chris Thiemann 6-2, 6-4. He is now 92-15 in dual singles matches for his career. McCarthy, the No. 46th-ranked player nationally, quickly finished off Mississippi’s Forberg in straight-sets, 6-1, 6-0, giving the Scarlet and Gray a solid 3-0 lead in the match.
Rola, a Ptuj, Slovenia, native, picked up the match-clinching point for Ohio State by downing Vorster, 6-1, 7-5. Rola rallied in the second set to pick up the point. Rola’s doubles partner, Buchanan also won a hard-fought match, coming back from a 3-0 deficit in the first set to defeat No. 32 Marcel Thiemann, 7-6, 6-3, to improve to 6-0 in dual singles play for the year.
Novak also won courtesy of a third-set super-tiebreaker, handing Johan Backstrom a 3-6, 6-3, 10-4 setback. Freshman Ille Van Engelen was handed his first defeat on the year losing 3-6, 6-3, 6-3 to Lutjen.
Ohio State will look to continue its home win streak Sunday when it faces another Top 20 opponent from the SEC. No. 11 Georgia will square-off with the Buckeyes at noon at the Varsity Indoor Tennis Center on Henderson Road. Admission is free.
Tennis Match Results
No. 4 Ohio State 6, No. 18 Mississippi 1
Feb 04, 2011 at Columbus, Ohio
1. #63 Chase Buchanan (OSU) def. #32 Marcel Thiemann (MISS) 7-6, 6-3
2. #7 Blaz Rola (OSU) def. Tucker Vorster (MISS) 6-1, 7-5
3. #107 Jonas Lutjen (MISS) def. Ille Van Engelen (OSU) 3-6, 6-3, 6-3
4. #34 Matt Allare (OSU) def. Chris Thiemann (MISS) 6-2, 6-4
5. Balazs Novak (OSU) def. Johan Backstrom (MISS) 3-6, 6-3, 10-4
6. #46 Devin McCarthy (OSU) def. A. Forberg Skogeng (MISS) 6-1, 6-0
1. #19 Matt Allare/Peter Kobelt (OSU) def. #4 Chris Thiemann/Marcel Thiemann (MISS) 8-6
2. #6 Chase Buchanan/Blaz Rola (OSU) def. Tucker Vorster/Jonas Lutjen (MISS) 8-6
3. #25 Balazs Novak/Devin McCarthy (OSU) def. A. Forberg Skogeng/Johan Backstrom (MISS) 8-5
Mississippi 2-2; National ranking #18
Ohio State 6-0; National ranking #4
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (4,6,2,1,5,3)
Official: Vince Solomon T-3:35 A-211