COLUMBUS, Ohio – The seventh-seeded and No. 35-ranked Ohio State women’s tennis team advanced into the quarterfinals of the 2010 Big Ten Tournament after defeating No. 10 seed Michigan State (7-17), 4-0, in the first round Thursday in Iowa City, Iowa. The Buckeyes secured the doubles point and used singles victories from Kirsten Flower, Paloma Escobedo and Christina Keesey to earn the win over the Spartans. Ohio State is now 19-8 this year, tying the program record for victories in a season, set in both 2002 and ’08.
Ohio State will face second-seeded Northwestern in the quarterfinals at 3 p.m. EST Friday.
Escobedo and Keesey stormed through their doubles match against Whitney Wilson and Christine Milliken, winning 8-0. The freshman tandem of Fidan Manashirova and Gabby Steele clinched the point for the Buckeyes after defeating Amy Barton and Manon Noe, 8-5.
Kelsey Haviland and Cami Hubbs were trailing Michaela Silesova and Elena Ivanova, 7-5, before the match was left unfinished.
Escobedo bested Wilson on court two, 6-2, 6-1, in singles to move the Buckeyes toward victory. Flower, ranked 78th in the nation in singles, took her match against Silesova, 6-3, 6-0, at the top spot.
Keesey clinched the victory for the Buckeyes after downing Renata de Paiva, 6-1, 6-1, on court five.
The Buckeyes were leading in the three remaining singles matches when play was suspended. At No. 3 Haviland led Ivanova, 6-0, 5-4, Steele was up, 6-1, 3-1, against Barton on court four and Hubbs was ahead, 6-3, 1-1, in her match against Milliken at No. 6.
Tennis Match Results
Michigan State vs Ohio State
Apr 29, 2010 at Iowa City, Iowa
(Hawkeye Tennis Recreation Complex)
#35 Ohio State 4, Michigan State 0
1. #78 Kirsten Flower (OSU) def. Michaela Silesova (MSU) 6-3, 6-0
2. Paloma Escobedo (OSU) def. Whitney Wilson (MSU) 6-2, 6-1
3. Kelsey Haviland (OSU) vs. Elena Ivanova (MSU) 6-0, 5-4, unfinished
4. Gabby Steele (OSU) vs. Amy Barton (MSU) 6-3, 3-1, unfinished
5. Christina Keesey (OSU) def. Renata de Paiva (MSU) 6-1, 6-1
6. Cami Hubbs (OSU) vs. Christine Milliken (MSU) 6-3, 1-1, unfinished
1. Kelsey Haviland/Cami Hubbs (OSU) vs. Michaela Silesova/Elena Ivanova (MSU) 5-7, unfinished
2. Paloma Escobedo/Christina Keesey (OSU) def. Christine Milliken/Whitney Wilson (MSU) 8-0
3. Fidan Manashirova/Gabby Steele (OSU) def. Amy Barton/Manon Noe (MSU) 8-5
Michigan State 7-17, 1-9
Ohio State 19-8, 5-5; National ranking #35
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (2,1,5)
Big Ten Tournament First Round
Ohio State No. 7 seed, Michigan State No. 10