COLUMBUS, Ohio – The No. 34 Ohio State women’s tennis team (20-10, 5-5 Big Ten) dropped a 4-0 decision to the No. 4 Michigan Wolverines (24-4, 10-0 Big Ten) Saturday in the second round of the NCAA Championships in Ann Arbor, Mich. The Wolverines took two of the doubles matches and won at the first, fourth and sixth spots to earn the victory.
UM’s Mimi Nguyen and Michelle Sulahian defeated Paloma Escobedo and Christina Keesey, 8-2, at the second doubles position, but Ohio State’s freshman duo of Gabby Steele and Fidan Manashirova earned an 8-2 victory of their own on court three against Tania Mahtani and Denise Muresan.
Michigan took the doubles point after the 19th-ranked tandem of Whitney Taney and Rika Tatsuno downed Kelsey Haviland and Cami Hubbs, 8-5.
Sulahian kept the Wolverines moving in the right direction in singles, putting away Hubbs in straight sets on court six, 6-4, 6-0. Mahtani came back from a first-set loss to earn a victory over Steele at the fourth spot.
Kirsten Flower, ranked 72nd nationally, pushed her match against No. 19 Muresan to three sets, but fell to the Wolverine, 6-2, 2-6, 6-4, to give Michigan match point and a spot in the Sweet 16 in Athens, Ga.
The Buckeyes battled throughout the match, with the three suspended singles matches all in third sets. Haviland led Nguyen, 7-5, 4-6, 3-2, before the match was left unfinished. Escobedo also held the advantage in her match against Taney, up 3-6, 6-3, 2-1. Keesey was just a single point down against Tatsuno, 7-6 (5), 1-6, 1-2.
Keesey finishes her collegiate career with 81 singles victories, placing her fifth all-time in the Buckeye record books. The senior from Northfield, Minn., finishes ninth all-time in career doubles wins with 81.
Tennis Match Results
Michigan vs Ohio State
May 15, 2010 at Ann Arbor, Mich.
(Varsity Tennis Center)
#4 Michigan 4, #34 Ohio State 0
1. No. 19 Denise Muresan (U-M) d. No. 72 Kirsten Flower (OSU), 6-2, 2-6, 6-4
2. Whitney Taney (U-M) vs. Paloma Escobedo (OSU), 6-3, 3-6, 1-2 abandoned
3. Mimi Nguyen (U-M) vs. Kelsey Haviland (OSU) , 5-7, 6-4, 2-3 abandoned
4. Tania Mahtani (U-M) d. Gabby Steele (OSU), 4-6, 6-1, 6-1
5. Rika Tatsuno (U-M) vs. Christina Keesey (OSU), 6-7 (5), 6-1, 2-1 abandoned
6. Michelle Sulahian (U-M) d. Cami Hubbs (OSU), 6-4, 6-0
1. No. 19 Taney/Tatsuno (U-M) d. Haviland/Hubbs (OSU), 8-5
2. Nguyen/Sulahian (U-M) d. Escobedo/Keesey (OSU), 8-2
3. Steele/Manashirova (OSU) d. Mahtani/Muresan (U-M), 8-2
Order of completion – Doubles 2-3-1; Singles 6-4-1