May 9, 2014
COLUMBUS, Ohio– The No. 3 seed Ohio State men’s tennis team cruised to a 4-0 victory against Bryant in its first round NCAA match Friday afternoon on the campus of The Ohio State University in Columbus. The match was moved indoors at the Varsity Indoor Tennis Center due to rain in the Columbus area.
The Buckeyes (31-3) will now face Wake Forest (15-13) at Noon Saturday in the NCAA second round with a spot in the Round of 16 up for grabs hosted in Athens, Ga., at the University of Georgia next week. Tickets to the second round are $8 for adults and $5 for students with a valid student ID, children and senior citizens. Live stats will be available at the Tournament Central page.
With the shutout victory over Bryant, Ohio State improves its NCAA all-time home win streak record to 190-consecutive matches on its home courts. Under director of tennis and head coach Ty Tucker, the Buckeyes are now 37-14 in NCAA play.
In his first career NCAA match, redshirt freshman Ralf Steinbach clinched match point for the Buckeyes with a 6-2, 6-1 win over Oliver Welsh on court No. 3 to improve to 25-4 overall with a 4-0 ledger at No. 3 singles in 2014.
The Buckeyes began the afternoon with the team’s 25th doubles point of the year. Redshirt junior Hunter Callahan and redshirt sophomore Chris Diaz downed Dana Parziale and Ernesto Arguello, 8-1, on court No. 2 to improve to 10-4 overall. The Scarlet and Gray simultaneously won courts No. 1 and 3, respectively, to earn a 1-0 lead over the Bulldogs. No. 24 Peter Kobelt and Steinbach won their-seventh consecutive match of the season, winning 8-3, while freshman Marko Goles-Babic and redshirt junior Kevin Metka earned an 8-0 shutout victory over Oliver Welsh and John Templeman on court No. 3.
In singles, Ohio State won on courts Nos. 6, 4 and 3, respectively. Metka worked quickly on court No. 6 to defeat John Templeman with a 6-0, 6-1 win, while Diaz earned his 15th win of the season with a straight set 6-1, 6-1 win on court No. 4 over Ernesto Arguello.
Tennis Match Results
Bryant vs Ohio State
May 9, 2014 at Columbus, Ohio
Varsity Tennis Center
#3 Ohio State 4, Bryant 0
1. #11 Peter Kobelt (OSU) vs. Dana Parziale (BRY) 6-4, 3-3, unfinished
2. #109 Herkko Pollanen (OSU) vs. Zachary Morris (BRY) 6-3, 3-0, unfinished
3. #101 Ralf Steinbach (OSU) def. Oliver Welsh (BRY) 6-2, 6-1
4. Chris Diaz (OSU) def. Ernesto Arguello (BRY) 6-1, 6-1
5. Hunter Callahan (OSU) vs. Maz Vogt (BRY) 6-1, 2-2, unfinished
6. Kevin Metka (OSU) def. John Templeman (BRY) 6-0, 6-1
1. #24 Peter Kobelt/Ralf Steinbach (OSU) def. Zachary Morris/Maz Vogt (BRY) 8-3
2. Hunter Callahan/Chris Diaz (OSU) def. Dana Parziale/Ernesto Arguello (BRY) 8-1
3. Marko Goles-Babic/Kevin Metka (OSU) def. Oliver Welsh/John Templeman (BRY) 8-0
Ohio State 30-3; National ranking #3
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (6,4,3)
2014 NCAA Tournament First Round Match
Hosted by The Ohio State University
Match moved indoors due to weather