COLUMBUS, Ohio – The No. 3 Ohio State men’s tennis team completed its third home doubleheader of the season after downing Cleveland State, 4-0, Sunday at The Ohio State University Varsity Indoor Tennis Center. The Buckeyes have now won 103 consecutive home matches, dating back to 2003.
Ohio State (18-1; 2-0 Big Ten) improves to 6-0 all-time vs. the Vikings. Under 11th-year head coach Ty Tucker, the Buckeyes are perfect against Horizon League opponents with a 22-0 record. The team has now won 10 straight matches, which is the longest win streak of the year for the Scarlet and Gray. Ohio State is 51-2 when ranked third in the country.
Sophomore Steven Williams defeated Jay Jones 6-2, 6-0, at No. 6 singles to help give the Buckeyes their 18th win of the year. Williams, a native of Manlius, N.Y., is 14-3 overall and has won his last eight matches.
In doubles, the Buckeyes cruised to the first point of the match in less than half an hour. At No. 1, juniors Matt Allare and Shuhei Uzawa swept Robert Fox and John Haley, 8-0. The Buckeye duo is now tied for the team lead in wins with 12 victories this season.
Highlighting the doubles play at No. 3 where senior co-captains Justin Kronauge and Mike O’Connell, who played together for the first time this year. After undergoing left shoulder surgery at the end of last summer, O’Connell made his season debut with Kronauge and picked up his first win of the year. The two classmates swept Phil Orno and Aris Spirtos, 8-0, to give Ohio State a 1-0 advantage over the Vikings.
In singles, each completed match was in straight sets. No. 26 Kronauge downed Fox 6-0, 6-2, to improve to an impressive 21-3 overall this season, which leads the team. The native of Dayton, Ohio, is now tied for second on the all-time career wins list with former Buckeye Vince Ng (1999-03) with 132 victories.
At No. 4, No. 117 Uzawa followed Kronauge with a 6-1, 6-2 victory against Chris Kelpatz. He improves to 16-12 overall.
Ohio State will hit the road to take on two Big Ten opponents. The Buckeyes will face Iowa at 2 p.m. ET April 2 in Iowa City, followed by a match in Minneapolis vs. Minnesota at 1 p.m. ET April 4.
No. 3 Ohio State 4, Cleveland State 0
The Ohio State University Varsity Indoor Tennis Center
March 28, 2010, at 6 p.m.
Tennis Match Final Results
1. No. 17 Chase Buchanan (OSU) vs. Phil Orno (CSU) – 6-3, 3-3, unfinished
2. No. 74 Dino Marcan (OSU) vs. Yannick Goossens (CSU) – 6-1, 3-0, unfinished
3. No. 26 Justin Kronauge (OSU) def. Robert Fox (CSU) – 6-0, 6-2
4. No. 117 Shuhei Uzawa (OSU) def. Chris Klepatz (CSU) – 6-1, 6-2
5. Devin McCarthy (OSU) vs. John Haley (CSU) – 6-1, 3-2, unfinished
6. Steven Williams (OSU) def. Jay Jones (CSU) – 6-2, 6-0
1. Matt Allare/Shuhei Uzawa (OSU) def. Robert Fox/John Haley (CSU) – 8-0
2. No. 43 Chase Buchanan/Dino Marcan (OSU) vs. Yannick Goossens/Chris Klepatz (CSU) – 3-3, unfinished
3. Justin Kronauge/Mike O’Connell (OSU) def. Phil Orno/Aris Spirtos (CSU) – 8-0
*Rankings from latest Campbell/ITA Division I College Tennis Rankings announced March 16
Cleveland State 11-6, 2-0 Horizon League
Ohio State 18-1, 2-0 Big Ten; National ranking #3
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (3,4,6)
Official: Vince Solomon, T-1:39