COLUMBUS, Ohio – After moving up a spot to No. 3 in the ITA rankings released Tuesday, the Ohio State men’s tennis team was in jeopardy of slipping in the polls before taking command of the match and winning, 4-2, against No. 41 LSU Tuesday at the W.T. “Dub” Robinson Stadium in Baton Rouge, La.
The Buckeyes (15-1; 1-0 Big Ten) improve to 6-1 against LSU all-time and 48-2 as the fourth-ranked team in the nation.
Despite winning the doubles point for the 13th time this season, the Buckeyes found themselves down, 2-1, with four singles matches remaining. However, three-consecutive singles wins, capped by senior co-captain Justin Kronauge’s 6-4, 6-1 triumph over No. 46 Neal Skupski at No. 2, sealed Ohio State’s 15th victory of the season.
Earlier in the match, Kronauge, paired with Balazs Novak, posted an 8-3 win against Stefan Szacinski and David Roberts. With both victories, Kronauge continues his rise on the program’s all-time singles and doubles wins list. The 26th-ranked player in the nation, Kronauge now has 129 career singles wins, which ties former teammate Bryan Koniecko for third. In doubles, the Buckeye from Dayton, Ohio, has recorded 108 career victories, which is good for fifth place.
Novak began the mini rally for Ohio State after beating Julien Gauthier 6-2, 6-2 at No. 5 singles. The junior from Budapest, Hungary, now boasts a 19-5 record. Giving up just two games in two sets, junior Matt Allare lifted Ohio State to a 3-2 advantage when he beat James Turbervill 6-1, 6-1 at the sixth position. It was shortly after Kronauge downed Szacinski.
Dino Marcan, No. 74 in the country, suffered a 6-0, 6-3 setback to Sebastian Carlsson at No. 3 singles, while No. 117-ranked Shuhei Uzawa lost 6-1, 6-4 to Mark Bowtell at No. 4. Ranked 17th, Chase Buchanan’s match vs. No. 46 Skupski went unfinished.
In addition to Kronauge and Novak’s win in doubles, the 43rd-ranked pair of Buchanan and Marcan defeated Bowtell and Roger Anderson, 8-3.
The Buckeyes will continue action in SEC country when they face No. 7 Georgia at 3 p.m. Thursday at the Dan Magill Tennis Complex.
Tennis Match Results
No. 3 Ohio State, 4 vs. No. 41 LSU 2
March 23, 2010 at Baton Rouge, La.
(W.T. “Dub” Robinson Stadium)
1. No. 46 Neal Skupski (LSU) vs. No. 17 Chase Buchanan (OSU) 6-3, 4-4, unfinished
2. No. 26 Justin Kronauge (OSU) def. Stefan Szacinski (LSU) 6-4, 6-1
3. Sebastian Carlsson (LSU) def. No. 74 Dino Marcan (OSU) 6-0, 6-3
4. Mark Bowtell (LSU) def. No. 117 Shuhei Uzawa (OSU) 6-1, 6-4
5. Balazs Novak (OSU) def. Julien Gauthier (LSU) 6-2, 6-2
6. Matt Allare (OSU) def. James Turbervill (LSU) 6-1, 6-1
1. Neal Skupski/Sebastian Carlsson (LSU) vs. Matt Allare/Shuhei Uzawa (OSU) 5-3, unfinished
2. No. 43 Chase Buchanan/Dino Marcan (OSU) def. Mark Bowtell/Roger Anderson (LSU) 8-3
3. Justin Kronauge/Balazs Novak (OSU) def. Stefan Szacinski/David Roberts (LSU) 8-3
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (3,4,5,6,2)