COLUMBUS, Ohio – The No. 3 Ohio State men’s tennis team concluded its historic day defeating Wright State, 6-1, to complete its second doubleheader sweep of the season. The Buckeyes picked up their 1,000th program victory earlier in the day, shutting out Cleveland State, 7-0. The win extends Ohio State’s home win streak to an impressive 120-consecutive matches.
Ohio State (13-1, 0-0) moves to 7-0 all-time vs. Wright State (6-3), with wins now in each of the past six seasons. With the sweep, Ohio State now has a 32-0 record against Horizon League opponents. The only other Horizon League team on the schedule was Butler, who Ohio State defeated in the season opener.
In doubles action against the Raiders, senior Matt Allare and redshirt-freshman Peter Kobelt started the evening by defeating Jan Alafriz and Hayden Joblin, 8-2, at No. 1. The 10th-ranked duo improves to 12-4 overall and 4-1 at the No. 1 position.
Earning the doubles point for the Scarlet and Gray were freshman Ille Van Engelen and junior Steven Williams. They downed Wright State’s Riyad Bennoui and Brian Dredge, 8-2. It was the second win of the afternoon for the duo that teamed up earlier in the day for the first time.
Devin McCarthy and Shuhei Uzawa ended the doubles portion of the match with an 8-3 victory vs. Evan and Landon Neuman.
Allare, a co-captain, finished his singles match against Joblin first, winning 6-2, 6-1 at No. 2 to improve to 17-3 on the season. He needs three more victories to reach 100 in his career.
Redshirt-freshman Wyatt Lippert won his first dual singles match as a Buckeye, defeating Bennoui in straight-sets 6-2, 6-0 at No. 6 giving the home team a 3-0 advantage.
Nelson Vick clinched the match for Ohio State, extending his win streak to 12 matches by handing Martin Arguello a 6-0, 6-1 setback.
Van Engelen competed at the No. 1 singles position for the first time in his career, earning a 6-2, 6-4 win over Alafriz. Van Engelen now stands at 9-3 on the season.
Closing out the match for Ohio State, Uzawa, a co-captain, lost a hard-fought match to Dredge 1-6, 6-4, 10-7 at No. 5.
Tennis Match Results
No.3 Ohio State 6, Wright State 1
Feb 24, 2011 at Columbus, Ohio
1. #103 Ille Van Engelen (OSU) def. Jan Alafriz (WSU) 6-2, 6-4
2. #45 Matt Allare (OSU) def. Hayden Joblin (WSU) 6-2, 6-1
3. #111 Nelson Vick (OSU) def. Martin Arguello (WSU) 6-0, 6-1
4. #86 Peter Kobelt (OSU) def. Landon Neuman (WSU) 6-2, 6-3
5. Brian Dredge (WSU) def. Shuhei Uzawa (OSU) 1-6, 6-4, 10-7
6. Wyatt Lippert (OSU) def. Riyad Bennoui (WSU) 6-2, 6-0
1. #10 Matt Allare/Peter Kobelt (OSU) def. Jan Alafriz/Hayden Joblin (WSU) 8-2
2. Devin McCarthy/Shuhei Uzawa (OSU) def. Evan Neuman/Landon Neuman (WSU) 8-4
3. Ille Van Engelen/Steven Williams (OSU) def. Riyad Bennoui/Brian Dredge (WSU) 8-2
Wright State 6-2
Ohio State 12-1; National ranking #3
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (2,6,3,4,1,5)
Official: Vince Solomon A-135