COLUMBUS, Ohio – The No. 25 Ohio State women’s tennis team (15-5, 2-2 Big Ten) fell to the No. 26 Iowa Hawkeyes (13-3, 3-2 Big Ten), 6-1, Sunday afternoon at home at the Stickney Tennis Center.
The Hawkeyes came out strong in doubles, taking the matches on courts one and three to earn the doubles point. The 15th-ranked Hawkeye duo of Sonja Molnar and Merel Beelen defeated Kelsey Haviland and Cami Hubbs on court one, 8-4.
Iowa’s Lynne Poggensee-Wei and Alexis Dorr finished with the same score in their victory over Fidan Manshirova and Gabby Steele at No. 3. The loss was only the fifth for the Buckeye freshman tandem.
Christina Keesey and Paloma Escobedo took their match against the Hawkeyes’ Kelcie Klockenga and Jessica Young on court two, 8-4.
Steele quickly tied the score for the Buckeyes after a straight sets victory over Young on court four, winning 6-1, 6-1. The victory moves Steele’s win streak to six matches.
Iowa struck back with a straight sets victory of its own when Klockenga downed Manashirova on court five, 6-1, 6-4. Moments later, Dorr defeated Hubbs at the sixth position, 6-3, 6-2.
With Iowa needing only a single victory to clinch the match, the crowd moved to focus on the play at the top three positions as all three courts moved into third sets.
Poggensee-Wei provided the clinching point for the Hawkeyes, finishing with a 7-5, 3-6, 6-3 win over Escobedo on court two after battling for nearly three hours. Beelen followed suit, taking the last two sets to win the match over Haviland on court three, 5-7, 6-4, 6-2.
Emotions ran high on court one as No. 66 Kirsten Flower faced off against No. 55 Molnar. Molnar took the first set, 7-6, but Flower showed her resilience, taking the second set, 6-1. The Upper Arlington, Ohio, native couldn’t hold on in the third set, however, and Molnar proved victorious, winning 7-6, 1-6, 6-4.
The Buckeyes hit the courts again next weekend, traveling to East Lansing to face Michigan State Saturday, April 10, before visiting Ann Arbor for a showdown against Michigan Sunday, April 11.
Ohio State Women’s Tennis
Iowa vs Ohio State
Apr 04, 2010 at Columbus, Ohio (Stickney Tennis Center)
#26 Iowa 6, #25 Ohio State 1
1. #55 Sonja Molnar (IOWA) def. #66 Kirsten Flower (OSU) 7-6, 1-6, 6-4
2. Lynne Poggensee-Wei (IOWA) def. Paloma Escobedo (OSU) 7-5, 3-6, 6-3
3. Merel Beelen (IOWA) def. Kelsey Haviland (OSU) 5-7, 6-4, 6-2
4. Gabby Steele (OSU) def. Jessica Young (IOWA) 6-1, 6-1
5. Kelcie Klockenga (IOWA) def. Fidan Manashirova (OSU) 6-1, 6-4
6. Alexis Dorr (IOWA) def. Cami Hubbs (OSU) 6-3, 6-2
1. #15 Sonja Molnar/Merel Beelen (IOWA) def. Kelsey Haviland/Cami Hubbs (OSU) 8-4
2. Paloma Escobedo/Christina Keesey (OSU) def. Kelcie Klockenga/Jessica Young (IOWA) 8-4
3. Lynne Poggensee-Wei/Alexis Dorr (IOWA) def. Fidan Manashirova/Gabby Steele (OSU) 8-4
Iowa 12-3 (3-2 Big Ten); National ranking #26
Ohio State 15-4 (2-2 Big Ten); National ranking #25
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (4,5,6,2,3,1)