B1G Tournament Central | Ohio State PDF Game Notes
- The No. 23 Ohio State women’s lacrosse team heads to State College, Pa., for the 2021 Big Ten Tournament.
- All games in the Big Ten Tournament will be televised by Big Ten Network and streamed through the Fox Sports app.
- No. 5 seed Ohio State (4-8) will face No. 4 Rutgers (5-7) at 2 p.m. Thursday in the quarterfinals.
- The winner of the game between the Buckeyes and Scarlet Knights will face top seed Northwestern (11-0), which earned a first round bye, at 5 p.m. Friday in the semifinals. The championship game is set for noon Sunday.
- The other quarterfinal matchups are No. 2 Maryland vs. No. 7 Michigan and No. 3 Johns Hopkins vs. No. 6 Penn State.
Buckeyes in the B1G Tourney
- Ohio State is 2-2 all-time in the Big Ten Tournament.
- In 2015 the squad made a run to the championship game. As the No. 4 seed, Ohio State topped No. 5 Rutgers 17-7 and then beat No. 1 seed Maryland 11-10 before falling to No. 2 Penn State in the final, 13-11.
- In 2016 No. 5 Ohio State fell to No. 4 Rutgers 11-10.
Buckeyes vs. Scarlet Knights
- The Buckeyes trail the series with Rutgers, 6-5 overall and 5-4 since the start of B1G play.
- The teams have met twice in the Big Ten Tournament, splitting the games with a 17-7 Ohio State win in 2015 and 11-10 Scarlet Knight victory in 2016.
- This season the squads faced off in Piscataway Feb. 26 and 28, with Rutgers winning both games (12-9 and 10-9).
Last Time Out
- Ohio State last competed April 16, posting a 12-9 victory at Michigan. Ohio State was down 9-8 with 11:16 remaining but ended the game on a four-goal run for the Big Ten victory.
- After the teams traded early goals. Ohio State went ahead 2-1 at 19:40 but back-to-back Wolverine tallies at 13:10 and 12:26 put Michigan in front 3-2. Ohio State answered with a four-goal run, including two Lindsay Epstein goals, and shut out the Wolverines the rest of the half for a 6-3 halftime lead.
- Michigan scored the first five goals of the second half to lead 8-6 with 15:54 remaining. Buckeyes Nicole Ferrara and Liza Hernandez tallied at 14:46 and 12:14 to tie the game at eight. Michigan went ahead one more time, 9-8, with 11:16 left. The Buckeyes notched their second four-goal run of the game to tie the game, take the lead and close out the win. Jamie Level tied the game at nine 59 seconds after UM had taken the lead, Hernandez followed with two straight goals at 6:14 and 4:25 and Level notched the game’s final goal at 3:48. Jillian Rizzo had three of her seven second-half saves in the final 3:02.
- Against the Wolverines, Hernandez led Ohio State with four goals and Level had a hat trick, while Ferrara and Epstein each had two tallies. Chloe Johnson had five of the Buckeyes’ 13 draw controls and Caly O’Brien had a goal, three ground balls and three caused turnovers. Rizzo had eight saves in the win.
In the Rankings
- This week, Ohio State is No. 23 in the IWLCA poll and receiving votes in the US Lacrosse Magazine and IL Women rankings.
- Six of the seven Big Ten teams are in this week’s IWLCA poll – Northwestern is No. 2, Maryland and Johns Hopkins are tied for 13th, Rutgers is 16th, Penn State is No. 20 and Ohio State is 23rd.