COLUMBUS, Ohio – The No. 2 Ohio State men’s tennis team moved to 15-2 with its 4-0 loss to No. 11 Michigan in their 115th matchup Friday night in Ann Arbor.
In doubles, all three matches were back and forth battles to the very end. Michigan came out quickly against James Trotter and Justin Boulais who found themselves down 4-1. They fought back winning two straight games bringing it to 5-3 but were unable to overcome the deficit and fell 6-3. Cannon Kingsley and JJ Tracy overcame a 3-1 deficit and tied the match at 4-4. They then dropped two straight games losing 6-4, but brought it to 40-all in a heated final game. Top ranked Matej Vocel and Robert Cash’s match went unfinished, however, they led 5-3 at the conclusion of the doubles point against No. 10 ranked Fenty and Ehrenschneider.
Two Buckeyes highlighted the singles effort with huge first set rallies. No. 5 Vocel was down 4-1in the first set but followed with a five game barrage to win 6-4; his match went unfinished into the third set. Jake Van Emburgh was down 4-0 in the first set, but he followed with a 4 game rally that led to a tie breaker where he won 7-6 (2); his match went unfinished into the second set. Boulais, Kingsley, and Trotter were unable to overcome their losses in the first set and the Buckeyes fell 4-0.
The Buckeye’s next match is at home against Big Ten rival No. 69 Illinois on Friday at 6 p.m.
#2 Ohio State 0, #11 Michigan 4
1. #5 Matej Vocel (OSU) vs. #57 Andrew Fenty (UM) 6-4, 3-6, 1-1, unfinished
2. #63 Ondrej Styler (UM) def. #8 Cannon Kingsley (OSU) 6-4, 6-4
3. #11 JJ Tracy (OSU) vs. Patrick Maloney (UM) 6-3, 3-6, 0-1, unfinished
4. Jake Van Emburgh (OSU) vs. Gavin Young (UM) 7-6 (2), 3-4, unfinished
5. #72 Jakob Bickersteth (UM) def. #26 James Trotter (OSU) 6-4, 7-5
6. Nick Beaty (UM) def. Justin Boulais (OSU) 6-4, 6-4
1. #1 Matej Vocel/Robert Cash (OSU) vs. #10 Andrew Fenty/Nino Ehrenschneider (UM) 5-3, unfinished
2. #50 Ondrej Styler/Gavin Young (UM) def. #3 James Trotter/Justin Boulais (OSU) 6-3
3. Patrick Maloney/Nick Beaty (UM) def. Cannon Kingsley/JJ Tracy (OSU) 6-4
Ohio State 15-2; National ranking #2
Michigan 9-2; National ranking #12
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (6,2,5)