COLUMBUS, Ohio – The No. 2 Ohio State men’s tennis team moved to 14-1 with its 4-3 victory over No. 15 Texas on the first match of its Texas road trip. This was the Buckeye’s first outdoor match of the season where they extended their win streak vs. the Longhorns to three straight matches.
In doubles, top ranked Matej Vocel and Robert Cash finished first with a quick 6-1 victory. Third ranked James Trotter and Justin Boulais fell 6-1 soon after. It came down to the duo of Cannon Kingsley and JJ Tracy to decide the doubles point. They battled back from a 1-3 deficit and brought it to 3-4. After dropping the next game, the Buckeye duo rallied off four-straight to win 7-5.
In singles, the Buckeyes took a quick 3-0 lead by opening with two straight set victories. No. 5 Vocel finished first on court two with a 6-4, 6-2 win over No. 36 ranked Richard Ciamarra. Andrew Lutschaunig finished just after on court six with a strong 6-1, 6-3 victory. With over an hour of additional play after Lutschanig’s victory, it was a hard-fought battle for the final point of the day. The Longhorns battled back with Jake Van Emburgh, Trotter, and Kingsley all falling in close matches which tied score at 3-3. The final point of the day came down to JJ Tracy in a back-and-forth fight that ended in a 7-5, 5-7, 6-3 victory.
The Buckeye’s next match is at No. 28 Texas A&M on Tuesday at 7 p.m. ET.
#2 Ohio State 4, #15 Texas 3
1. #38 Micah Broswell (UT) def. #8 Cannon Kingsley (OSU) 4-6, 7-5, 6-2
2. #5 Matej Vocel (OSU) def. #32 Richard Ciamarra (UT) vs. 6-4, 3-3
3. Elliot Spizzirri (UT) def. Jake Van Emburgh (OSU) (UT) 3-6, 4-6
2. #11 JJ Tracy (OSU) def. Siem Woldeab (UT) 7-5, 5-7, 6-3
3. Chih Chi Huang (UT) def. #26 James Trotter (OSU) 5-7, 5-7
6. Andrew Lutschaunig (OSU) def. Evin McDonald (UT) vs. 6-1, 6-3, 3-0
1. #1 Matej Vocel/Robert Cash (OSU) def. Richard Ciamarra/Micah Braswell (UT) 6-1
2. Cannon Kingsley/JJ Tracy (OSU) def. Siem Woldeab/Evin McDonald (UT) 7-5
3. Eliot Spizzirri/Chih Chi Huang (UT) def. #3 James Trotter/Justin Boulais (OSU) 6-1
Ohio State 14-1; National ranking #2
Texas 8-7; National ranking #15
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (2,6,3,5,1,4)