Jan. 20, 2018
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio State Buckeyes can enjoy the rest of the weekend after taking care of business in the first two matches of season, sweeping Xavier 7-0 and Cleveland State 4-0 on Saturday at the OSU Varsity Tennis Center.
First up for the Buckeyes was a morning match against Xavier. Although it was a debut in team matches for Joseph Thomas, John McNally and Tim Seibert, no one had much trouble as the match lasted an hour and 20 minutes. The Buckeyes didn’t give up more than two games in a set the entire match.
OSU quickly clinched the doubles point with sweeps from Hunter Tubert and Mikael Torpegaard against Alejandro Rodriguez-Vidal and Brett Winters on court two, and then Thomas and Riley Reist against Jan Vrba and Matthew Graft on court three shortly thereafter. Martin Joyce and McNally were up 5-1 over Gabriel Araujo and Jack Dykema on court one when doubles play was halted.
Buckeye fans got to see some new faces today during singles play. However, the returners also did their share to get the clinch for the Scarlet and Gray. No Buckeye gave up more than four games in a match, with the first victory unsurprisingly going to the senior Torpegaard, defeating the Musketeer’s Ben Winters on court two 6-2, 6-1. Redshirt sophomore Kyle Seelig followed up with a 6-0, 6-2 win over Rodreguez-Vidal on court four. Freshman Tim Seibert clinched the match for the Buckeyes, winning his first match at the Varsity Tennis Center with a 6-1, 6-2 victory over Vrba on court three.
The remaining matches didn’t take long to finish after the clinch. Joyce finished off Araujo on court five 6-2, 6-1, and Alex Kobelt won his match against Nate Dell 6-2, 6-1 on court six. Last to finish was freshman John McNally, who showed off a strong serve and forehand during his first team victory at the VTC with a 6-2, 6-2 win over the Musketeer’s number one guy in Dykema. This is the 17th straight victory and 69th straight point for the Buckeyes over the Musketeers.
Cleveland State recap
The afternoon match went much the same way as the morning match as Ohio State rolled 4-0 over Cleveland State.
The Buckeyes shook up the doubles lineup a bit for the second match. Tubert and Kobelt were on court three and took down Jack Santilli and Gabriel Evtimov rather quickly, 6-1. On court two, McNally and Matt Mendez fell behind an early break but rallied to win four-straight games and eventually clinched the point with a 6-3 win. Torpegaard and Joyce played in the No. 1 spot and were serving for the match up 5-2 when play was halted.
In singles, Joyce put the second point on the board with an easy 6-0, 6-4 win over Evtimov and Seelig followed just seconds later with his 6-3, 6-3 win over Luke Phillips on court four. The fourth and final point came from McNally who collected his second singles win of the day with a 6-1, 6-3 win over Matthew Terry on court two.
The rest of the Buckeyes had also won their opening sets and were on their way to wins in the second when the match was called.
The Scarlet and Gray is the host for the ITA Kickoff weekend next Saturday and Sunday at the VTC. Ohio State will open play against Yale at 10 a.m. on Saturday morning and then will play either Tulsa or North Florida on Sunday.
#2 Ohio State 7, Xavier 0
1.#57 John McNally (OSU) def. Jack Dykema (XAVIER) 6-2, 6-2
2. #5 Mikael Torpegaard (OSU) def. Brett Winters (XAVIER) 6-2, 6-1
3. Tim Seibert (OSU) def. Jan Vrba (XAVIER) 6-1, 6-2
4. #26 Kyle Seelig (OSU) def. A. Rodriguez-Vidal (XAVIER) 6-0, 6-2
5. #102 Martin Joyce (OSU) def. Gabriel Araujo (XAVIER) 6-2, 6-1
6. Alex Kobelt (OSU) def. Nate Dell (XAVIER) 6-2, 6-1
1. #55 Martin Joyce/John McNally (OSU) vs. Gabriel Araujo/Jack Dykema (XAVIER) 5-1, unfinished
2. Hunter Tubert/Mikael Torpegaard (OSU) def. A. Rodriguez-Vidal/Brett Winters (XAVIER) 6-0
3. Joseph Thomas/Riley Reist (OSU) def. Jan Vrba/Matthew Graft (XAVIER) 6-0
Ohio State 1-0; National ranking #2
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (2,4,6,3,5,1)
Official: Marcus Lee T-1:21 A-144
#2 Ohio State 4, Cleveland State 0
1. #5 Mikael Torpegaard (OSU) vs. Nico Mostardi (CSU) 6-3, 5-3, unfinished
2. #57 John McNally (OSU) def. Matthew Terry (CSU) 6-1, 6-3
3. #102 Martin Joyce (OSU) def. Gabriel Evtimov (CSU) 6-0, 6-4
4. #26 Kyle Seelig (OSU) def. Luke Phillips (CSU) 6-3, 6-3
5. Alex Kobelt (OSU) vs. Mirko Radosevic (CSU) 6-4, 4-1, unfinished
6. Matt Mendez (OSU) vs. William Malm (CSU) 6-2, 4-1, unfinished
1. Mikael Torpegaard/Martin Joyce (OSU) vs. Nico Mostardi/Matthew Terry (CSU) 5-2, unfinished
2. John McNally/Matt Mendez (OSU) def. Luke Phillips/Mirko Radosevic (CSU) 6-3
3. Hunter Tubert/Alex Kobelt (OSU) def. Jack Santilli/Gabriel Evtimov (CSU) 6-1
Cleveland State 0-1
Ohio State 2-0; National ranking #2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (3,4,2)
Official: Marcus Lee T-1:31 A-146