Jan. 28, 2018
COLUMBUS, Ohio – ITA Kickoff Weekend was everything the Buckeyes could have hoped for, as the Buckeyes beat both of their opponents, and beat them without much difficulty. By defeating the North Florida Ospreys, the Buckeyes have qualified for the National Indoor Championships held from February 16-19 in Seattle. In the sweep, the Buckeyes bring their record to 4-0, and their point total up to 19-0. The Ospreys drop to 2-3 on the year.
“That’s one of our team goals every year to get to the final 16 of the ITA Indoor Championships and we did that this year,” said Director of Tennis Ty Tucker. “To be in that final 16 is significant. It doesn’t matter who we face to get there, every team is good and will give us their best shot and the guys did well over the last two days of playing hard and coming out with a pair of wins.”
The doubles point was quickly earned by a 6-0 sweep from Matt Mendez/Hunter Tubert, and a 6-2 win from Mikael Torpegaard/Martin Joyce, who won their final five games of the set. Singles was also pretty straightforward, as JJ Wolf steamrolled Sahil Deshmukh 6-0, 6-1, and Torpegaard quickly followed with a 6-2, 6-2 victory over Jefta Kecic. Joyce, Mendez and Kyle Seelig were all one game away from a win, but it was Mendez who finished first with a 6-2, 6-3 victory over Nilo Duarte to secure the clinch.
Now that the ITA Kickoff is complete, the Buckeyes can focus on their regular season matches, the next four of which will be at the Varsity Tennis Center. The Buckeyes first face the Toledo Rockets today at 5 p.m. They will then have their first three ranked matches of the season over the next two weeks. They will be facing No. 7-9 in Texas, Texas A&M, and Florida before travelling to Seattle to partake in the National Indoor Championships.
#2 Ohio State 4, North Florida 0
1. #5 Mikael Torpegaard (OSU) def. Jefta Kecic (UNF) 6-2, 6-1
2. #60 JJ Wolf (OSU) def. Sahil Deshmukh (UNF) 6-0, 6-1
3. #57 John McNally (OSU) vs. Lasse Muscheites (UNF) 3-6, 5-2, unfinished
4. #26 Kyle Seelig (OSU) vs. Till Von Winning (UNF) 6-3, 5-4, unfinished
5. #102 Martin Joyce (OSU) vs. Joe Ellis (UNF) 6-4, 5-0, unfinished
6. Matt Mendez (OSU) def. Nilo Duarte (UNF) 6-2, 6-3
1. Mikael Torpegaard/Martin Joyce (OSU) def. Jefta Kecic/Nilo Duarte (UNF) 6-2
2. JJ Wolf/John McNally (OSU) vs. Sahil Deshmukh/Lasse Muscheites (UNF) 5-3, unfinished
3. Matt Mendez/Hunter Tubert (OSU) def. Till Von Winning/Joe Ellis (UNF) 6-0
North Florida 2-3
Ohio State 4-0; National ranking #2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (2,1,6)
Official: Marcus Lee T-1:43 A-158