COLUMBUS, Ohio – Ohio State faced its first ranked opponent of the season on Saturday and dominated No. 9 Stanford, winning 6-1.
The highly-anticipated top 10 matchup was an intense one, and the large crowd at the Indoor Tennis Center saw a great afternoon of matches.
Ohio State took the lead through doubles play thanks to performances from the teams of JJ Wolf and Martin Joyce as well as John McNally and Hunter Tubert. McNally and Tubert rolled 6-1 at No. 3 while Wolf and McNally clinched the point with a 6-4 win at No. 1.
Singles play is where the match intensity began to kick in. The crowd on hand made each match feel like it was the most important one with each point won. With standing room only available once singles play began, the crowd came alive during a comeback from JJ Wolf, who started the first set down 0-3 to No. 20 Axel Geller, but would ultimately win 7-5, 6-1.
Alex Kobelt, Hunter Tubert and Martin Joyce each dominated their singles opponent and clinched the victory for the Buckeyes. Kobelt won 6-3, 6-2 over No. 29 Sameer Kumar which is the highest ranked win of his career. Tubert took down Timothy Sah 6-1, 6-3 and Joyce capped it with a 6-2, 6-2 win over Michael Genender.
#2 Ohio State 6, #9 Stanford 1
1. #3 JJ Wolf (OSU) def. #20 Axel Geller (STAN) 7-5, 6-1
2. #36 John McNally (OSU) def. #64 Alexandre Rotsaert (STAN) 6-4, 7-5
3. #101 William Genesen (STAN) def. #13 Kyle Seelig (OSU) 6-3, 7-6 (8-6)
4. Martin Joyce (OSU) def. Michael Genender (STAN) 6-2, 6-2
5. Alex Kobelt (OSU) def. #29 Sameer Kumar (STAN) 6-3, 6-2
6. Hunter Tubert (OSU) def. Timothy Sah (STAN) 6-1, 6-3
1. JJ Wolf/Martin Joyce (OSU) def. Axel Geller/Alexandre Rotsaert (STAN) 6-4
2. Alex Kobelt/James Trotter (OSU) vs. Sameer Kumar/Timothy Sah (STAN) 5-4, unfinished
3. John McNally/Hunter Tubert (OSU) def. Michael Genender/Jack Barber (STAN) 6-1
Stanford 4-1; National ranking #9
Ohio State 6-0; National ranking #2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (6,5,4,1,2,3)
Ohio State will next take on Arizona State on Friday, Feb. 8 in Columbus. The match will start at 6 p.m.