Evanston, Ill. – The Ohio State men’s tennis team picked up another conference win on Friday evening, defeating the Northwestern Wildcats 6-1.
Ohio State entered the match 22-2 overall and a record of 7-0 in the Big Ten. The Buckeyes were coming off a roadtrip last weekend that saw them pick up wins over Nebraska and No. 48 Iowa.
Another match, another doubles play victory for the Buckeyes on Friday night. Martin Joyce and JJ Wolf paired up on court one, but it was the big performances from the consistent tandem of Kyle Seelig/Alex Kobelt and Hunter Tubert/John McNally that saw the Buckeyes take the match lead 1-0. With their wins, Kobelt/Seelig advance to 15-4 this season while McNally/Tubert are quietly 16-0 on the season. The duo of John McNally and Hunter Tubert have been sneaky good this year on court three for the Buckeyes.
How good have JJ Wolf and John McNally been this season? Big performances from the Cincinnati-natives gave the Buckeyes an early cushion and an eventual win in singles play. Both John and JJ, ranked No. 1 and No. 28 respectively, finished their opponents in straight sets with ease. JJ Wolf is now 26-0 in singles while McNally is 20-5. Following their victories, No. 54 Kyle Seelig on court four picked up his 19th win on the season, defeating Bratholm in dominant fashion, 6-3, 6-1. Up 4-0 at this point, Hunter Tubert amounted a temporary comeback on court six, having dropped his first set 2-6. After a 6-3 second set win, Tubert would fall 0-1 (7) in a tiebreaker. Alex Kobelt would go on to win his match 7-5, 6-4 while Martin Joyce would cap off the night for the Buckeyes, winning 3-6, 7-6, 1-0.
Ohio State advances to 23-2 on the season and 8-0 in conference play with their win over the Wildcats. Up next for the Buckeyes are the No. 14 Illinois Fighting Illini for one of this season’s most highly-anticipated matches, and arguably the biggest one in the Big Ten conference in 2019.
1. #1 JJ Wolf (OHST) def. Dominik Stary (NU) 6-2, 6-1
2. #28 John McNally (OHST) def. Antonioni Fasano (NU) 6-1, 6-1
3. Martin Joyce (OHST) def. Chris Ephron (NU) 3-6, 7-6, 1-0 (10-6)
4. #54 Kyle Seelig (OHST) def. Simen Bratholm (NU) 6-3, 6-1
5. Alex Kobelt (OHST) def. Trice Pickens (NU) 7-5, 6-4
6. Jason Seidman (NU) def. Hunter Tubert (OHST) 6-2, 3-6, 1-0 (10-7)
1. #30 Martin Joyce/JJ Wolf (OHST) def. Dominik Stary/Chris Ephron (NU) 5-4
2. #20 Alex Kobelt/Kyle Seelig (OHST) def. Trice Pickens/Antonioni Fasano (NU) 6-4
3. John McNally/Hunter Tubert (OHST) def. Ben Vandixhorn/Simen Bratholm (NU) 6-3
Ohio State 22-2
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (2,1,4,6,5,3)