COLUMBUS, Ohio – The No. 2 Ohio State men’s tennis team improved to 18-2 with its 4-0 victory over Big Ten opponent Indiana. The Buckeyes set the tone for Big Ten play with three straight sweeps: two at home with 4-0 wins vs. Illinois and Northwestern and today’s road sweep vs. the Hoosiers. Ohio State has now won 24 straight matches vs. the Hoosiers.
In doubles, the Buckeyes overcame a combative Hoosiers performance and took the doubles point with reconfigured lineups. New doubles partners, Matej Vocel and Justin Boulais, finished first with a strong performance on court two winning 6-3. Andrew Lutschaunig and James Trotter fell behind 4-2 but fought back and tied the match at 4-4. However, they dropped two straight and fell 6-4. It came down to new duo Robert Cash and JJ Tracy to seal the doubles point. It was a back and forth battle the entire match with Cash and Tracy chasing from behind; they were either tied or down by one for the entirety of the match until they won three-straight after being down 4-5 to clinch the 7-5 win and the doubles point.
In singles, the Buckeyes came out hot with three quick straight set victories. Boulais finished first and set the tone for the day with a dominant 6-1, 6-1 win. Vocel finished soon after with 6-4 first set win and overwhelmed IU with a 6-0 second set extending the Buckeye lead to 3-0. JJ Tracy sealed the 4-0 win with the third Buckeye straight sets victory of the afternoon with a dominant 6-0 first set and hard fought 7-5 second set.
The Buckeye’s next match is against Purdue in West Lafayette this Sunday at noon.
#2 Ohio State 4, Indiana 0
1. #7 Matej Vocel (OSU) def. Carson Haskins (IU) 6-4, 6-0
2. Jake Van Emburgh (OSU) vs. Patrick Fletchall (IU) 6-2, 5-5, unfinished
3. #11 JJ Tracy (OSU) def. Luka Vukovic (IU) 6-1, 7-5
4. #42 James Trotter (OSU) vs. Michael Andre (IU) 6-3, 1-6, 1-1, unfinished
5. #63 Robert Cash (OSU) vs. Jagger Saylor (IU) vs. 7-6 (3), 1-3, unfinished
6. Justin Boulais (OSU) def. Nishanth Basavareddy (IU) 6-1, 6-1
1. Ilya Tiraspolsky/Patrick Fletchall (IU) def. James Trotter/Andrew Lutschaunig (OSU) 4-6
2. Matej Vocel/Justin Boulais (OSU) def. Carson Haskins/Jagger Saylor (IU) 6-3
3. Robert Cash/JJ Tracy (OSU) def. Michael Andre/Luka Vukovic (IU) 7-5
Ohio State 18-2; National ranking #2
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (6,1,3)