COLUMBUS, Ohio – The No. 2 Ohio State men’s tennis team had another perfect weekend and improved to 19-2 with its 4-0 victory over Big Ten opponent Purdue. Ohio State is undefeated at 4-0 in Big Ten play with four consecutive sweeps. Ohio State has now won 25 straight matches vs. the Boilermakers.
In doubles, the Buckeyes came out hot with two new doubles teams earning dominant victories. New duo Jake Van Emburgh and Andrew Lutschaunig finished first and rolled in a quick 6-2 win. New partners JJ Tracy and Justin Boulais followed soon after with a strong 6-3 win. Though unfinished, top ranked doubles team in the country, Matej Vocel and Robert Cash were up 5-2 before Tracy and Boulais sealed the doubles point win for the Buckeyes.
The Buckeyes kept their momentum rolling into the singles matches. For the second time this weekend, Boulais dominated in singles and finished first; he finished with a near flawless 6-0, 6-1 performance. JJ Tracy followed suit with a perfect 6-0, 6-0 win that boosted the Buckeye lead to 3-0. Vocel controlled his singles match throughout and clinched the 4-0 Buckeye sweep over the Boilermakers with his 6-3, 6-1 win.
The Buckeyes face Penn State in their next match at State College next Saturday at noon.
#2 Ohio State 4, Purdue 0
1. #10 Cannon Kingsley (OSU) vs. Gabriele Brancatelli (PU) 6-2, 4-1, unfinished
2. #7 Matej Vocel (OSU) def. Rohan Sachdev (PU) 6-3, 6-1
3. #11 JJ Tracy (OSU) def. Tomasz Dudek (PU) 6-0, 6-0
4. Jake Van Emburgh (OSU) vs. Michal Wozniak (PU) 7-5, unfinished
5. #42 James Trotter (OSU) vs. Piotr Galus (PU) 6-3, 3-4, unfinished
6. Justin Boulais (OSU) def. Milledge Cossu (PU) 6-0, 6-1
1. #1 Matej Vocel/Robert Cash (OSU vs. Michal Wozniak/Piotr Galus (PU) 5-2, unfinished
2. Jake Van Emburgh/Andrew Lutschaunig (OSU) def. Milledge Cossu/Gabriele Brancatelli (PU) 6-2
3. JJ Tracy/Justin Boulais (OSU) def. Tomasz Dudek/Andre Suzanne (PU) 6-3
Ohio State 19-2; National ranking #2
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (6,3,2)