Sept. 7, 2016
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The No. 19 Ohio State women’s soccer team returns home after a four-match road trip to take on Texas at 5 p.m. Friday at Bert L. & Iris S. Wolstein Field at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium.
Fans can follow live stats and video at OhioStateBuckeyes.com or follow on Twitter @OhioState_WSOC.
OHIO STATE OF LATE
Ohio State split a pair of road matches last week, topping No. 16 Virginia Tech, 2-1, Thursday night before falling at No. 4 West Virginia, 2-1, Sunday evening. Lindsay Agnew scored the Buckeyes’ first goal in the 33rd minute against the Hokies and again found the back of the net in the 70th minute against the Mountainneers, while Morgan Wolcott scored the game-winner in the 58th minute at Virginia Tech.
WALKER IN 20TH SEASON AT HELM
Head coach Lori Walker is in her 20th season at Ohio State in 2016. The two-time Big Ten Coach of the Year (2001 and 2010) has led the team to 10 NCAA Tournament berths (2002-03-04-07-09-10-11-12-13-15), a Big Ten regular season championship (2010) and three Big Ten Tournament championships (2002, 2004, 2012). Her record at Ohio State is 220-149-37 and her career record, including two seasons at Kansas, is 233-172-38
PRINCE EARNS BRONZE WITH CANADA
Nichelle Prince earned a bronze medal with Canada’s 2-1 win over Brazil Aug. 19 in Sao Paulo.
Prince was named to the Canadian Olympic team this past summer, becoming the first women’s soccer Buckeye to compete in the Olympics when she came off the bench in Canada’s 3-1 win over Zimbabwe Aug. 6 in Sao Paulo, Brazil.
The senior played 21 minutes in a 2-1 win over Germany Aug. 9 and again came off the bench in the 85th minute of a 2-0 loss to the Germans in the semifinals Aug. 16. Canada then topped host Brazil, 2-1, Aug. 19 in Sao Paulo to earn the bronze medal.
IN THE RANKINGS
Ohio State climbed to No. 19 in the latest NSCAA poll released Tuesday. The Buckeyes are one of five Big Ten teams ranked in the poll. In addition, the Buckeyes are ranked third in the Great Lakes region.
IN THE BIG TEN
– The Buckeyes rank third in the Big Ten with 13 goals and 12 assists on the season.
– Lindsay Agnew is tied for second in the Big Ten with four goals while Nikki Walts is tied for second in the conference with three assists. In addition, Jillian McVicker has made 25 saves for the Buckeyes, a total tied for second in the conference.
SOME MORE NOTES
– Nichelle Prince is tied for 11th on the Ohio State career goals list with 22. The senior also has moved into ninth place on the Buckeyes’ career points list with 61.
– Prince has notched two of the 12 hat tricks in Ohio State history, accomplishing the feat against Northeastern and Northwestern in 2013. Sammy Edwards is the only other Buckeye on the roster with a hat trick, scoring three times in a 4-2 win against Dayton in 2014.
– This season, the Buckeyes are slated to face five teams in the NSCAA preseason poll, including Penn State (No. 2), West Virginia (No. 6), Rutgers (No. 10), BYU (No. 16) and Virginia Tech (No. 17).
– Ohio State is 20-0-1 when scoring at least two goals dating back to the start of 2014. The Buckeyes went 5-0-1 when scoring at least twice in 2014 before going a perfect 11-0-0 last season and are 4-0-0 after scoring at least twice in four matches this season.
– The Buckeyes are ranked 30th nationally with 13 goals. Lindsay Agnew ranks 33rd in the country with four goals and 34th nationally with 10 points.
Texas is 3-2-0 on the year after dropping a 1-0 match against California last Sunday. Alexa Adams leads the Longhorns with three goals while Paige Brown, Cara Connatser and Taylor Braun have split time in goal.
The Buckeyes and Longhorns played the first match between the two schools last year, a scoreless double-overtime draw in Austin.
MOUSSET CALLED TO CANADIAN U-20 CAMP
Marike Mousset has been called in to Canadian U-20 camp in preparation for the U-20 Women’s World Cup in November in Papua New Guinea. The development camp goes from Sept. 1 to Sept. 18 with the next preparatory camp for Canada slated to begin Nov. 1 in Brisbane, Australia.
After sitting out the first four matches of the season, Mousset came off the bench twice for the Buckeyes, playing 24 minutes in a 2-1 win over No. 16 Virginia Tech Sept. 1 and another 42 minutes in a 2-1 setback at No. 4 West Virginia Sept. 4.
AGNEW, WOLCOTT NAMED 2016 CAPTAINS
Seniors Lindsay Agnew and Morgan Wolcott have been named captains of the 2016 Ohio State women’s soccer team, head coach Lori Walker announced Aug. 22. In addition, Walker announced junior Nikki Walts will serve as assistant captain of the Buckeyes.
NINE AT HOME AND ADMISSION IS FREE
The Buckeyes’ schedule includes nine matches at Bert L. & Iris S. Wolstein Field at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium this season with the Big Ten home opener set for 7 p.m. Sept. 23 against Nebraska. Admission is free to all Ohio State women’s soccer home games.
THE COACHING STAFF
Ohio State is under the direction of 20th-year head coach Lori Walker. She has guided the team to 10 NCAA Tournament berths (2002-03-04-07-09-10-11-12-13-15), a Big Ten regular season championship (2010) and three Big Ten Tournament championships (2002, 2004, 2012). Her record at Ohio State is 220-149-37 and her career record, including two seasons at Kansas, is 233-172-38.
JESSE OWENS MEMORIAL STADIUM
Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium, the home to the Buckeyes, has provided quite the home-field advantage for the women’s soccer team. Some stats about the facility:
– The home team is 119-46-17 all-time.
– Ohio State is 100-29-15 since 2003 and 54-17-7 since 2009.
No. 19 Ohio State takes on No. 7 BYU at 7 p.m. Monday at Bert L. & Iris S. Wolstein Field at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium.