Aug. 30, 2015

Austin, Texas
Mike A. Myers Stadium
2OT: No. 18 Ohio State 0 (3-0-1), Texas 0 (1-1-1)
Attendance: 575

AUSTIN, Texas – The No. 18 Ohio State women’s soccer team played to a scoreless draw at Texas Sunday afternoon at Mike A. Myers Stadium. The Buckeyes remain undefeated at 3-0-1 on the year while the Longhorns sit at 1-1-1.

“That was a tough result for us today,” Lori Walker, Ohio State head coach said. “Credit to Texas goalkeeper Abby Smith for making some brilliant saves. I am happy for the number of chances we created but frustrated we didn’t do better from the bi-line with services. Our team found their grit playing in unfamiliar heat and reached a deeper level of commitment to one another today. That will help us moving forward.”

The Buckeyes had their first opportunity in the 18th minute when Nikki Walts played a ball over the top toward Sammy Edwards at the far post but Texas goalkeeper Abby Smith was able to punch away the diving header from the sophomore.

Ohio State almost got on the board in the 27th minute when Nichelle Prince gathered in the center of the field, turned past a Texas defender and fired a shot from 25 yards that drilled the crossbar and was cleared away.

The match entered the half scoreless with the Buckeyes holding a 7-3 lead in shots, 3-1 on goal. Texas held a 4-1 advantage in corner kicks.

Texas had an opportunity in the 49th minute when Mikayla Flores possessed with her back to goal, turned and fired a shot toward the right post but Devon Kerr ranged to her left to make the save and keep the match scoreless.

The Buckeyes had their best chance of the second half in the 79th minute when Prince found Arden Holden with a through ball but Smith came out to pick it off the foot of the freshman before she could find the back of the net.

Ohio State had another chance in the final minute when Prince threaded a through ball to Walts but Smith again came out to make the save on the shot from 10 yards as the match headed to overtime.

Through regulation, Ohio State held a 16-13 lead in shots, 7-5 on frame, while Texas had a 7-2 lead in corners.

The Buckeyes’ best chance in the first overtime came in the 99th minute when Walts possessed outside the box but Smith again was able to make the diving save on Walts’ left-footed strike from 20 yards.

Neither team was able to muster anything in the second overtime as the match ended in a scoreless draw.

For the game, Ohio State held an 18-17 lead in shots, 8-7 on goal, while the Longhorns posted a 7-3 lead in corner kicks.

Kerr played the final 65 minutes on goal for the Buckeyes, making six saves.

Ohio State hosts Florida International at 7:30 p.m. Thursday at Bert L. & Iris S. Wolstein Field at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium.