Aug. 21, 2005

Box Score

COLUMBUS, Ohio – Ohio State freshman Patrick Roan scored the game-tying goal in the 82nd minute, but host Dayton answered with the game-winner less than a minute later and the host Flyers held on to top the 18th-ranked Ohio State men’s soccer team, 2-1, Sunday night in both team’s first exhibition match of the season.

Ohio State, co-champions of the Big Ten regular season in 2004 and an NCAA tournament third-round qualifier, opened camp last Tuesday and will look to the strength of 17 returning letterwinners and eight starters to improve on the success of last season.

“The reason we play these exhibition games is to know what we need to work on,” John Bluem, Ohio State head coach, said. “We need to find out what our players are capable of, and then improve our play for when we play for real.”

Dayton, 11-7-1 in 2004 and runner-up in the Atlantic 10, took a one-goal lead in the 23rd minute when Lubomir Bogdanov converted a penalty kick after he had gotten behind the Buckeyes’ defense, forcing a foul. The score would remain 1-0 in favor of the Flyers through halftime and late into the match.

“In the first half there were times when we played very good soccer, but we also were sloppy at times and Dayton had one counter-attack and got behind us and got a penalty,” Bluem said. “In the second half, we made nine changes and put a different lineup out there.”

Eight of Ohio State’s 11 shots came in the second half, with Roan (Westerville, Ohio/Westerville North) having one of those shots that found its way to the back of the net. During a scramble in the goalkeeper box, Ohio State sophomore Xavier Balc (Hudson, Ohio/Hudson) sent a header that went to the leg of Roan, who redirected the ball past the Flyer goalkeeper. “We played well late in the game,” Bluem said. “Overall I was pleased with the game. We went into it hoping to see all our players and see what they had. That was our objective.”

Less than a minute after Roan’s equalizer, Dayton’s Antti Arst sent a free kick into the goalkeeper box that teammate Omar Jarun headed in, which would hold up to be the game-winner.

Ohio State goalkeepers Ray Burse Jr. (Sr., Prospect, Ky., St. Xavier) and Casey Latchem (So., Perrysburg, Ohio/Perrysburg) split equal time in goal. Burse handled the first half without a save, while Latchem saved four shots in the second half.

The Buckeyes will return to action at 7:30 p.m., Friday, Aug. 26, against Cincinnati in Crew Stadium.

### GO BUCKS! ###