Jan. 23, 2016
COLUMBUS, Ohio – With a 4-0 win over No. 22 TCU on its home court, the No. 18 Ohio State women’s tennis team (4-0, 0-0 B1G) clinched a spot in the ITA National Team Indoor Championship. The match between the Buckeyes and Horned Frogs (1-1) was part of ITA Kick-Off weekend, with 16 sites serving as qualifiers for the indoor championships, which will be held Feb. 5-8 in Madison, Wis. This will mark the Buckeyes’ second appearance in the tournament and the first since 2001.
“It’s a really good feeling to make it through,” Melissa Schaub, head coach of the Buckeyes, said. “This is a very special team that fights so incredibly hard for each other. To me, they are what college tennis is all about. They have been through a lot but everyone has stepped up big. We have a really tough schedule ahead of us but we are going to enjoy this for a couple of days.”
Against TCU, Ohio State captured the doubles point with wins on courts one and three and was a game away from clinching on court two when play was suspended. Buckeye freshman Francesca Di Lorenzo and sophomore Olivia Sneed posted the first win, topping Olaya Garrido-Rivas and Mia King, 6-3. The No. 6-ranked duo of sophomore Anna Sanford and junior Miho Kowase topped No. 17-ranked Seda Arantekin and Caroline Wegner, 6-4, to clinch the doubles point. On court two, juniors Gabriella De Santis and Ferny Angeles Paz led Marie Norris and Alexis Pereira, 5-2, when play was called.
The Buckeyes won three singles matches in straight sets to clinch the team victory. Sanford was first off the court, topping Aleksandra Zenovka, 6-3, 6-1. No. 2-ranked Di Lorenzo won 6-2, 6-2, at No. 1 over Garrido-Rivas to put the Buckeyes up 3-0. Angeles Paz clinched the match with a 6-0, 6-4 victory against Pereira on court five. De Santis was up 6-4, 4-3 on court two and Kowase was ahead 6-2, 4-3, at No. 4. TCU has five indoor courts and senior Grainne O’Neill had not yet started her match at No. 6.
Up next, the Buckeyes will travel to Ann Arbor, Mich., Jan. 31 to take on No. 13 Michigan at 1 p.m. The match is a nonconference tilt, as Ohio State and Michigan do not have a match on the B1G schedule this season.
Ohio State vs TCU
Jan 23, 2016 at Fort Worth, Texas
(Bayard H. Friedman Tennis Center)
#18 Ohio State 4, #22 TCU 0
1. #2 Francesca Di Lorenzo (OSU) def. Olaya Garrido-Rivas (TCU) 6-2, 6-2
2. Marie Norris (TCU) vs. Gabriella De Santis (OSU) 4-6, 3-4, unfinished
3. Anna Sanford (OSU) def. Aleksandra Zenovka (TCU) 6-3, 6-1
4. Caroline Wegner (TCU) vs. Miho Kowase (OSU) 2-6, 3-4, unfinished
5. Ferny Angeles Paz (OSU) def. Alexis Pereira (TCU) 6-0, 6-4
6. Seda Arantekin (TCU) vs. Grainne O’Neill (OSU) 0-0, unfinished
1. #6 Anna Sanford/Miho Kowase (OSU) def. #17 Seda Arantekin/Caroline Wegner (TCU) 6-4
2. Marie Norris/Alexis Pereira (TCU) vs. Gabriella De Santis/Ferny Angeles Paz (OSU) 2-5, unfinished
3. Olivia Sneed/Francesca Di Lorenzo (OSU) def. Olaya Garrido-Rivas/Mia King (TCU) 6-3
Ohio State 4-0; National ranking #18
TCU 1-1; National ranking #22
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (3,1,5)
ITA Kick-Off Weekend
Ohio State clinches spot in ITA National Team Indoor Championships