COLUMBUS, Ohio – The No. 16-ranked Ohio State women’s tennis team downed No. 10 Syracuse (4-4), 5-2, in the consolation round of the ITA National Team Indoor Championship Sunday in Seattle, Wash. The Buckeyes, now 4-2 on the year, will next hit the courts Feb. 20 when they host matches vs. instate foes Cleveland State and Akron.
Against the Orange, the Buckeyes claimed the doubles point with wins on courts two and three. Luna Dormet, Kolie Allen and Mary Beth Hurley won in straight sets to secure the win for the Scarlet and Gray and all were part of doubles victories.
The Buckeye tandem of sophomore Dormet and freshman Allen was first off the court in doubles, winning 6-2 over the Syracuse duo of Sofya Golubovskaya and Maria Tritou on court two. On court one, No. 29-ranked Isabelle Boulais and Shiori Fukuda fell to the pair of Gabrila Knutson and Miranda Ramirez, 6-4. The duo of Danielle Wolf and Hurley defeated the tandem of Guzal Yusupova and Dina Hegab 7-5 on court three to clinch the doubles point for the Scarlet and Gray and give the Buckeyes the 1-0 advantage going into singles.
Ohio State went into singles with a strong start, however the first court to wrap up play was in favor of the Orange. No. 48 Gabrila Knutson defeated Boulais 6-4, 6-1 on court one to even the score. Shortly after the Buckeyes took rapid fire. Allen downed Ramirez on court three, 6-3, 7-5, improving to 6-0 in dual matches. The Orange answered shortly afterward when Guzal topped Wolf 6-2, 6-3 on court five.
On court four, No. 99 Dormet defeated Hegab, 6-2, 6-2, for the third Buckeye point. After dropping the first set to Golubovskaya on court two, 6-4, Fukuda won the second 6-2 and was up 4-0 in the third when Golubovskaya retired for the fourth Buckeye point. Hurley topped Ester Liba Mesh 6-2, 6-4 on court six to close out the match.
Ohio State vs Syracuse
Feb 10, 2019 at Seattle, Wash.
#16 Ohio State 5, #10 Syracuse 2
1. #48 Gabrila Knutson (SYR) def. Isabelle Boulais (OSU) 6-4, 6-1
2. Shiori Fukuda (OSU) def. Sofya Golubovskaya (SYR) 4-6, 6-2, 4-0, retired
3. Kolie Allen (OSU) def. #67 Miranda Ramirez (SYR) 6-3, 7-5
4. #99 Luna Dormet (OSU) def. Dina Hegab (SYR) 6-2, 6-2
5. Guzal Yusupova (SYR) def. Danielle Wolf (OSU) 6-2, 6-3
6. Mary Beth Hurley (OSU) def. Ester Liba Mesh (SYR) 6-2, 6-4
1. Gabrila Knutson/Miranda Ramirez (SYR) def. #29 Isabelle Boulais/Shiori Fukuda (OSU) 6-4
2. Luna Dormet/Kolie Allen (OSU) def. Sofya Golubovskaya/Maria Tritou (SYR) 6-2
3. Danielle Wolf/Mary Beth Hurley (OSU) def. Guzal Yusupova/Dina Hegab (SYR) 7-5
Ohio State 4-2; National ranking #16
Syracuse 4-4; National ranking #10
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (1,3,5,4,2,6)
ITA National Team Indoors Consolation