|Ohio State Men's Basketball Gameday||Jan. 18, 2019
|Opponent||No. 19 Maryland (15-3, 6-1)
|Site||Value City Arena (18,809)
|Time||6:30 p.m. ET
|Television||FS1 | FOX Sports Go
|Talent||Kevin Kugler (Play-By-Play)
Jim Jackson (Expert Analysis)
|Radio||OSU-IMG Sports Network (67 stations)
Listen Free: Ohio State Buckeyes App | OhioStateBuckeyes.com
|Local Radio||WBNS-FM 97.1
|Satellite Radio||Sirius (99) / XM (196)
|Radio Talent||Paul Keels (Play-By-Play)
Ron Stokes (Expert Analysis)
|Live Stats||Gameday Live
|Game Notes||Ohio State | Maryland
|Preview Press Conferences||Ohio State
|Follow the Buckeyes on Social Media||Twitter | Facebook | Instagram
|2018-19 Game Notes||Game Notes Archive
- The Ohio State men’s basketball team traveled to Spain for 11 days over the summer. The Buckeyes played a total of three games, one in each stop during the trip, which began Aug. 1 with a flight to Madrid. Three days were spent in Madrid (W, 93-61 vs. Madrid Generals), Valencia (W, 95-63 vs. Valencia All-Stars) and Barcelona (W, 68-66 vs. Catalan All-Stars) before the team returned to Columbus Aug. 11. The team also experienced several cultural tours, team meals and excursions.
- Ohio State improved to 2-0 in the Gavitt Games with a 69-60 win at Creighton Nov. 15. Ohio State defeated Providence in Columbus in its first appearance in the event in 2016. The Buckeyes earned four wins in the Buckeye Classic to claim the event title. Ohio State defeated Purdue Fort Wayne, South Carolina State, Samford and Cleveland State.
- Ohio State is ranked No. 15/14 in the most recent Associated Press and USA Today Coaches polls. The Buckeyes are 18-7 all-time when ranked in the No. 15 position and are 507-149 when ranked among the Top 25 in the AP poll. The Buckeyes were 10-5 as a ranked team in 2017-18. Ohio State was ranked No. 17 in the final game of the season vs. No. 6 Gonzaga a year ago in the NCAA Tournament (L, 90-84).
- Ohio State will appear on four major television networks again in 2018-19. This season marks the second year in which FOX will televise Big Ten Conference games. The Buckeyes, who have traditionally appeared on CBS, the Big Ten Network and the ESPN family of networks, will appear on FOX and/or FS1 four times this season. The first appearance was at home Nov. 23 vs. Cleveland State at historic St. John Arena in the 2018 Buckeye Classic.
- Ohio State will play 16 games against teams among the Associated Press Top 25 or receiving votes for Top 25 consideration. Nine of those games will be played away from Value City Arena. The Buckeyes face No. 5 Michigan (away), No. 9 Michigan State (home/away), No. 16 Wisconsin (home), No. 22 Iowa (home/away) and No. 25 Indiana (away)/Syracuse (home). Among teams receiving votes, Ohio State faces Nebraska (away), Maryland (home/away), Purdue (home/away), Minnesota (W-home), Cincinnati (W-Away) and UCLA (neutral).
Early Notable Numbers
C.J. Jackson is averaging 12.7 points a game and has the Buckeyes off to an 8-1 start … he reached 100 career 3-pointers made with three makes vs. Cleveland State … for his Ohio State career he is (107-295/.363) from distance … has scored 721 career points after an 8-point effort vs. Illinois and is on pace to become Ohio State’s next 1,000-point scorer … Duane Washington Jr. is 16-of-39 from 3-point range (.410) in nine appearances … Kyle Young is 26-for-37 shooting this season (.703), Jaedon LeDee is 10-for-15 from the field in eight appearances.
Noting the Illinois Game
- Ohio State improves to 73-102 all-time against Illinois.
- The game marked the third time the Buckeyes and the Illini have met on a neutral court. The Buckeyes are now 2-1 when playing the Illini at a neutral site.
- When ranked in the Associated Press Top 25, Ohio State is 28-11 against Illinois.
- The Buckeyes have won eight of the last nine matchups between the two teams.
- Before taking the final lead of the game with 13 minutes to play in the second half, the lead changed 10 times throughout the game.
- Ohio State improves to 7-1 when ranked No. 19 in the Associated Press Top 25.
- The Ohio State bench accounted for 40 of the Buckeyes’ 77 points.
- In each of the last two years, Ohio State has started the Big Ten Conference regular-season race with 2-0 records. Each year the league schedule began in December with teams playing one home and one road game in conference play. A year ago, Ohio State win at Wisconsin and vs. Michigan at home. This year, the Buckeyes defeated Minnesota in Columbus and Illinois at the United Center in Chicago.
- Ohio State held the Illini to 19 made field goals, the second-consecutive game the Buckeyes’ defense held a foe to 20 or fewer made buckets (20-Minnesota Dec. 2). The last time Ohio State held consecutive conference opponents to 20 or few made baskets was against Penn State (20-60/Jan. 25) and at Illinois (18-56 in OT/Jan. 28) in 2016.
- No Ohio State opponent has managed to make more than 23 field goals this season. Seven of nine foes have not made more than six 3-pointers. In 2017-18, the Buckeyes held 10 total opponents to six or fewer made 3s.
- Ohio State made 23 foul shots against the Illini, marking the fourth time this year the Buckeyes have made 23 or more free throws. Ohio State managed to make more than 23 foul shots just once a season ago, a 26 of 33 effort vs. Illinois in Columbus.
- Chris Holtmann improves to 2-1 when coaching against Illinois.
- In conference play, Holtmann improves to 17-3 at the helm of the Buckeyes.
- Keyshawn Woods scored a team-high 18 points in the contest. He recorded six made field goals off the bench to put him at one shy of 400 for his career. The contest was the third time this season that he scored in double figures.
- Woods finished 5-for-5 from the free throw line, recorded four rebounds, two assists and one block.
- Kaleb Wesson scored 13 points in the contest to record his sixth-consecutive game scoring in double figures.
- Wesson grabbed seven boards, dished one assist and added one block for the Buckeyes.
- Musa Jallow grabbed a career-high nine boards in the contest.
- Jallow tied his season-high points total with 11 against the Illini.
Scouting The Bucknell Bison
Bucknell enters the game with the Buckeyes with an overall record of 4-3 after last playing Dec. 4 at LaSalle (W, 92-79). The Bison have won three of the last four games after starting the season 1-2. Kimbal Mackenzie, a senior guard from Oakville, Ontario, leads the team in scoring with 18.7 points per game. He is followed by Nate Sestina’s 17.0 ppg. Sestina, a senior forward-center from Emporium, Pennsylvania, is the team’s leading rebounder with 11.5 caroms a game.
The Ohio State vs. Bucknell Series
Ohio State and Bucknell have met just once, a 90-62 win for the Buckeyes Nov. 29, 1986 in Columbus. Ohio State placed five in double figures in that game led by 21 points from Dennis Hopson, 16 from Jay Burson, 14 from Jerry Francis, 13 scored by Curtis Wilson and 10 by Tony White.
Ohio State vs. The Patriot League
The Buckeyes own an overall record of 21-3 against teams that currently make up the Patriot League. Ohio State has faced each league member at least once with the exception of Boston University and Lehigh. The last Patriot League member to take on the Buckeyes was Navy Nov. 11, 2016 at the Veterans Classic in Annapolis, Maryland. Ohio State won that game 78-68.