Feb. 22, 2018
COLUMBUS, Ohio — The No. 14 Ohio State women’s tennis team posted a 7-0 win at Penn State in its first Big Ten match of the season. The Buckeyes, now 4-1 on the year, return to the Varsity Tennis Center to take on No. 22 Arizona State at noon Sunday. Admission is free.
Against the Nittany Lions, Ohio State won the doubles point for a 1-0 lead. The indoor facility at Penn State has four courts, so the matches on courts two, four, five and six were on first, followed by courts one and three. Ohio State won in straight sets in all six singles matches. Senior Anna Sanford, sophomore Danielle Wolf and freshmen Shiori Fukuda and Emma DeCoste all posted singles and doubles wins for the Buckeyes.
Quoting head coach Melissa Schaub
“It was good to get a match in again. We have put in a lot of work these last few weeks but it’s different going out there and playing. For this being our first road match, I thought we handled it well. We need to keep getting better but I’m happy with the way we competed.”
The No. 15-ranked team of Anna Sanford and Shiori Fukuda won 6-4 on court one over Bennett Dunn and Shannon Hanley, followed by a 7-5 come from behind win by Emma DeCoste and Danielle Wolf over Hanna Wikberg and Frederikke Svarre on court three.
Ohio State has won the doubles point in all five matches this season, with Sanford and Fukuda 5-0 on court one.
Freshman Mary Beth Hurley dropped just one game in each set to defeat Olivia Rohrbacher on court five, 6-1, 6-1, for a 2-0 Buckeye lead. On court six, Danielle Wolf followed with a 6-1, 6-3 victory over Bennett Dunn. Emma DeCoste clinched the Buckeye win with a 6-3, 6-4 victory over Samantha Smith on court four.
On court two, No. 64-ranked Shiori Fukuda won 7-5, 7-5 over Frederikke Svarre, overcoming an early deficit in the second set. Anna Sanford was a 6-3, 6-1 winner over Gabby O’Gorman on court one and No. 72 Olivia Sneed closed out the shutout with a 6-1, 6-4 victory vs. Shannon Hanley at No. 3.
Ohio State vs Penn State
Feb 22, 2018 at University Park, Pa.
(Indoor Tennis Center)
#14 Ohio State 7, Penn State 0
1. Anna Sanford (OSU) def. Gabby O’Gorman (PSU) 6-3, 6-1
2. #64 Shiori Fukuda (OSU) def. Frederikke Svarre (PSU) 7-5, 7-5
3. #72 Olivia Sneed (OSU) def. Shannon Hanley (PSU) 6-1, 6-4
4. Emma DeCoste (OSU) def. Samantha Smith (PSU) 6-3, 6-4
5. Mary Beth Hurley (OSU) def. Olivia Rohrbacher (PSU) 6-1, 6-1
6. Danielle Wolf (OSU) def. Bennett Dunn (PSU) 6-1, 6-3
1. #15 Shiori Fukuda/Anna Sanford (OSU) def. Bennett Dunn/Shannon Hanley (PSU) 6-4
2. Samantha Smith/Olivia Rohrbacher (PSU) vs. Mary Beth Hurley/Olivia Sneed (OSU) 4-4, unfinished
3. Emma DeCoste/Danielle Wolf (OSU) def. Hanna Wikberg/Frederikke Svarre (PSU) 7-5
Ohio State 4-1 (1-0 B1G); National ranking #14
Penn State 4-4 (0-1 B1G)
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (5,6,4,2,1,3)