COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio State men’s tennis team were on fire Friday evening, defeating Purdue 7-0.
Ohio State entered the match 24-2 and coming off a road victory over No. 18 Illinois last Sunday. With a win over Purdue on Friday, Ohio State was guaranteed atleast a share of their 14th-consecutive Big Ten Championship with a chance to win it outright on Sunday.
What feels like a broken record now, the Buckeyes yet again were excellent in doubles taking the match lead. No. 28 Kyle Seelig and Alex Kobelt started extremely well, controlling the match the entire way and defeating their opponent easily, 6-1. No. 30 JJ Wolf and Martin Joyce would follow suit with a dominant victory of their own. The Buckeyes have won all but one doubles point all season.
Singles play was no different. All six courts were led by Buckeyes the entire way through. It was an absolute show by the Buckeyes. No. 1 JJ Wolf led the way on court 1, finishing first and finishing well with a 6-1, 6-2 win over Athell Bennett. Sophomore Tim Seibert saw some time on the courts on Friday, and took complete advantage of the opportunity. The German-native was excellent on the evening, defeating his opponent 6-2, 6-1 . In addition, Senior Martin Joyce picked up another win, defeating his opponent in what feels like his 100th tiebreaker of the season, 6-2, 7-6(7).
It was a good evening for the Ohio State men’s tennis team as they advanced to 25-2 and 10-0 in Big Ten play. Friday’s win marked the Buckeye’s 76th-consecutive home win. Up next for the Buckeyes will be a big match on Sunday afternoon with the Indiana Hoosiers. With a win over the Hoosiers on Sunday, the Buckeyes can clinch a 14th-consecutive Big Ten regular season title. In addition, on Senior Day, Martin Joyce has the opportunity to improve his record to 199 carreer victories. Senior Day on Sunday will be special as we honor two very men who were vital to this program’s success over the past four years in Hunter Tubert and Martin Joyce.
1. #1 JJ Wolf (OSU) def. Athell Bennett (PUR) 6-1, 6-2
2. #23 John McNally (OSU) def. Mateo Julio (PUR) 6-2, 7-6 (7-4)
3. Martin Joyce (OSU) def. Maksymilian Raupuk (PUR) 6-2, 7-6 (9-7)
4. #56 Kyle Seelig (OSU) def. Stephan Koenigsfest (PUR) 6-1, 7-5
5. Alex Kobelt (OSU) def. Dominik Sochurek (PUR) 6-2, 6-3
6. Tim Seibert (OSU) def. Santiago Galan (PUR) 6-2, 6-1
1. #30 JJ Wolf/Martin Joyce (OSU) def. Athell Bennett/Stephan Koenigsfest (PUR) 6-2
2. #28 Alex Kobelt/Kyle Seelig (OSU) def. Dominik Sochurek/Mateo Julio (PUR) 6-1
3. John McNally/Hunter Tubert (OSU) vs. Maksymilian Raupuk/Franz Luna (PUR) 5-1, unfinished
Purdue 9-12 (3-7)
Ohio State 25-2 (10-0); National ranking #1
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (1,6,5,4,2,3)
Official: Douglas Rice T-2:01 A-280