COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio State men’s tennis team defeated the Michigan State Spartans 7-0 on Friday evening in dominant fashion.
The Buckeyes entered the match 16-2 and coming off back-to-back losses against No. 3 Texas and No. 9 Texas A&M. The Buckeyes returned home looking to bounce back with a conference victory over the Spartans, and they did just that.
Ohio State began the match in familiar fashion at home in 2019, winning the doubles point with ease, and taking the 1-0 advantage. A new pairing for the 2019 was on display when JJ Wolf and John McNally teamed up on court two. The tandem however are not unfamiliar with playing alongside one another. The Cincinnati-natives played together as teenagers prior to their careers at Ohio State. Big performances from the two, in addition to Martin Joyce and Hunter Tubert taking care of business on court one, the Buckeyes began the match in control, and never looked back.
Singles play picked up where doubles left off, with all six Buckeyes in command early on. Hunter Tubert was the first to finish, defeating his opponet very quickly after an impressive performance on court six. Martin Joyce and John McNally would clinch the victory at 4-0 for the Buckeyes shortly after. JJ Wolf, Kyle Seelig and James Trotter all played out their matches, and came out victorious in each.
The Buckeyes are back to winning ways and advance to 17-2 on the season, and 2-0 in conference play. Up next the Buckeyes will travel to Ann Arbor to take on the No. 16 Michigan Wolverines on Sunday, March 24.
1. #1 JJ Wolf (OSU) def. #95 Jack Winkler (MSU) 6-4, 6-3
2. #23 John McNally (OSU) def. Ivan Rakic (MSU) 6-0, 6-3
3. #65 Kyle Seelig (OSU) def. John Carlin (MSU) 6-1, 5-7, 1-0
4. #108 Martin Joyce (OSU) def. Anthony Pero (MSU) 6-1, 6-1
5. #121 James Trotter (OSU) def. Carson Gates (MSU) 6-2, 6-1
6. Hunter Tubert (OSU) def. Billy Shisler (MSU) 6-1, 6-0
1. Martin Joyce/Hunter Tubert (OSU) def. Jack Winkler/John Carlin (MSU) 6-1
2. John McNally/JJ Wolf (OSU) def. Ivan Rakic/Colin Harvey (MSU) 6-0
3. James Trotter/Kyle Seelig (OSU) vs. Carson Gates/Billy Shisler (MSU) 2-3, unfinished