Jan. 28, 2017
COLUMBUS, Ohio – No. 3 Ohio State advanced to the ITA National Indoor Championships with a 4-0 sweep over Old Dominion on Saturday at the OSU Varsity Tennis Center. This was the Buckeye’s sixth straight sweep of the season. The Buckeyes have also not yet lost a point in match play.
The Buckeyes started off strong in doubles, with Mikael Toorpegaard and Herkko Pollanen getting the first victory with a 6-2 win over Adam Moundir and Jacob Nicolussi. Matt Mendez and Hunter Tubert were soon to follow with a 6-1 victory over Aziz Kijametovic and Pepe Nunez Navarro, clinching the doubles point for Ohio State.
Martin Joyce put the Buckeyes on the board first for singles, defeating Nunez Navarro 6-1 6-1. Hugo Di Feo quickly followed with a 6-1, 6-1 victory over Nicolussi. Pollanen sealed the deal for the Buckeyes with a hard-fought, 6-4, 6-4 win over Kijametovic, clinching the sweep for the Buckeyes.
The unfinished matches were much closer in score. Toorpegaard lost a tough first set in a tiebreaker, and was down a break 3-4 to #24 Moundir. The match was unable to be finished before the clinch by Pollanen. JJ Wolfe also lost his first set 5-7 against Michael Weindl, but kept the second set on serve at 3-3. Kyle Seelig lost his first set 5-7, but seemed to be rolling in the second set, up two breaks and serving at 4-1 against Javier Maestre, before the match was ended.
Ohio State won the ITA Kickoff Weekend in Columbus for the ninth-straight season. The Buckeyes will head to Charlottesville, Va., on Feb. 17-20 for the ITA National Indoor Team Championships. OSU won the title in 2014.
Next up for Ohio State is a match with No. 24 USF this Friday, Feb. 3 at the OSU Varsity Tennis Center beginning at 6 p.m. USF will be the first ranked team the Buckeyes have faced this season.
#5 Ohio State 4, Old Dominion 0
1. #2 Mikael Torpegaard (OSU) vs. #24 Adam Moundir (ODU) 6-7 (8-10), 3-4, unfinished
2. JJ Wolf (OSU) vs. Michael Weindl (ODU) 5-7, 3-3, unfinished
3. #5 Hugo Di Feo (OSU) def. Jacob Nicolussi (ODU) 6-2, 6-1
4. #34 Herkko Pollanen (OSU) def. Aziz Kijametovic (ODU) 6-4, 6-4
5. Javier Maestre (ODU) vs. Kyle Seelig (OSU) no result
6. #53 Martin Joyce (OSU) def. Pepe Nunez Navarro (ODU) 6-1, 6-1
1. #55 Mikael Torpegaard/Herkko Pollanen (OSU) def. Adam Moundir/Jacob Nicolussi (ODU) 6-2
2. #25 Martin Joyce/Hugo Di Feo (OSU) vs. Javier Maestre/Michael Weindl (ODU) 5-2, unfinished
3. Matt Mendez/Hunter Tubert (OSU) def. Aziz Kijametovic/Pepe Nunez Navarro (ODU) 6-1
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (6,3,4)