Ohio State set to face Akron in second round action at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday 

ROCHESTER, Mich. – Julian Sisman hit the deciding penalty kick as the Ohio State men’s soccer team advanced past Oakland with a 4-3 penalty kick decision in the first round of the NCAA Tournament Saturday afternoon at the OU Soccer Field. The teams played to a scoreless tie through regulation and two overtime sessions before heading into the best-of-five penalty kicks. The Buckeyes (9-8-3) will now face Akron at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday in Akron, Ohio.

“I am incredibly proud of this team and the way we played,” head coach John Bluem said after the game. “This was a hard-fought game on both sides, but we never let up and, in fact had some of our best shots in the second overtime. I take my hats off to Oakland for a tough contest.”

The Ohio State athletics department is looking into chartering buses to the game in Akron for fans to come support the Buckeyes. The only price is $8 for the general admission ticket to the game. For more information, please call the Ohio State ticket office at 800-GO-BUCKS.

In the match Saturday, the first half started out a little choppy on both sides with Ohio State and Oakland (14-4-2) swapping spurts of possession. Play evened out in the second period, but neither team was able to find the back of the net as each struggled to piece together consistent runs.

The Buckeyes came alive in overtime, with Andrew Magill and Joshua Breto putting together a give-and-go in the few seconds of the first extra session that Breto sent just wide left of the net. They put up more of the same in the second OT as both Breto and Nick Galiardi had good looks at the net in the 104th minute.

Drew Czekanski, who made his first start in goal in nearly a month, secured the shutout in the 109th minute when he saved a shot by Gabe Hernandez to send the game into PKs. The Buckeyes missed their first attempt, but nailed the last four with Sisman taking the final kick. Oakland had the advantage after the first round of kicks, but missed its second attempt. Czekanski stopped their final effort to secure the Buckeye victory.

The Buckeyes were credited with nine shots in the match, with three coming in the second overtime period, while the Grizzlies took 18 shots.

Ohio State played without six of its starters after they were suspended by Bluem for the violation of team rules. Five freshmen started in the match and six participating players had seen action in five or fewer games this season.

The game Tuesday with Akron will be a re-match of the regular-season finale for both sides. The Zips came away with the 4-3 win after the Buckeyes gave them their toughest match of the season.

Soccer Game Summary (Final)
                          2008 Ohio State Men’s Soccer
      Ohio State vs Oakland University (Nov 22, 2008 at Rochester, Mich.)

 Ohio State (9-7-3) vs. Oakland University (14-4-2)
 Date: Nov 22, 2008  Attendance: 684
 Weather: Cold!

 Goals by period      1     2    OT    O2    Tot
 Ohio State                  0     0     0      0       0
 Oakland University     0     0     0      0       0

 Ohio State: 10/N 21/Y 15/Y 25/Y 29/Y
 Oakland University: 8/Y 13/N 20/Y 16/Y 15/N
 Ohio State wins shootout 4-3

 Shots: Ohio State 9, Oakland University 18
 Saves: Ohio State 5 (Czekanski, Drew 5), Oakland University 3 (Mitch Hildebrandt 3)