COLUMBUS, Ohio Led by four-point games from James Green and Mario Ventiquattro and 10 saves from Brandon Freeman, the Ohio State men’s lacrosse team beat Fairfield, 11-6, Saturday afternoon inside the Woody Hayes Athletic Center. The Buckeyes improve to 3-1 on the year, with Fairfield falling to 1-1.

Green had a hat trick and an assist, with Ventiquattro adding two goals and two assists. Joel Dalgarno had three assists and Jeff Ryan had a hat trick. Freshman Brock Sorensen had two points, including his first career goal. The Buckeye defense limited Fairfield to just two goals in the second half, shutting the Stags out for 27:21.

Ohio State led 4-2 at the end of the first quarter. The Buckeyes opened the scoring just 14 seconds into the game when Dalgarno set up Scott Lathrop for his first goal of the season. Fairfield tied the game at 12:36 Chris Ajemian’s unassisted score. The Buckeyes outscored the Stags 3-1 to close out the quarter. With Ohio State man-up, James Green put the Buckeyes back on top with a rising shot, assisted by Dalgarno, at 11:06. Ryan scored unassisted at 8:16 following a forced turnover by Ventiquattro on a Stags clearing attempt. Gary Raniolo scored for Fairfield at 4:23 to cut the Buckeye lead to one (3-2). After a Buckeye faceoff win, Sorensen set up Brian Lalley and his shot went high to put the Buckeyes ahead, 4-2. The Stags outshot the Buckeyes in the quarter, 9-7, and won 5-of-7 faceoffs.

The game remained close in the second, with the Buckeyes taking a 7-4 lead into halftime. Fairfield’s Logan Rausse scored man-up at 12:26 to cut the Buckeye lead to one (4-3). Ohio State responded with a three-goal run to go ahead, 6-3. Mario Ventiquattro tallied back-to-back goals at 10:01 and 8:08. He scored off a pass from Bryce Woodson on a fast break at 10:01 and tallied on an assist from Green at 8:08. Ventiquattro then set up Green for an EMO goal at 2:23. Brent Adams ended the Buckeye run with a goal with just 13 seconds left before halftime. Ohio State outshot Fairfield in the quarter, 12-4, and won all six faceoffs in the stanza.

Ohio State outscored Fairfield, 2-1, in both the third and fourth quarters. The teams traded goals early in the third. Dalgarno set up Ryan just 50 seconds in and Rausse followed with his second man-up score at 13:38. The Buckeyes’ final goal of the third quarter was an unassisted tally by Green at 12:43. Each team had seven shots in the stanza.

In the fourth, Ventiquattro found Ryan for a goal at 11:29 and Sorensen scored off a rush at 9:06. Ajemian scored for Fairfield with 1:17 remaining, ending the Stags’ scoreless streak. Fairfield had eight shots in the stanza, with Freeman making three saves. Ohio State had six shots.

In the game, Freeman played all 60 minutes and had 10 saves, allowing six goals. Fairfield’s Charlie Cipriano had seven saves and allowed 11 goals in 60 minutes. Ohio State outshot Fairfield, 32-28, in the game.

The Buckeyes converted 2-of-3 man-up chances and Fairfield was 2-for-5.

Faceoffs were close, with Ohio State winning 11-of-21. Freshman Stephen Tepsick won 9-of-16 for the Buckeyes.

Postgame Notes
Ohio State returns to action at 1 p.m. next Saturday at Penn State.

Anthony Kelly, a four-year letterwinner for the Buckeyes from 2000-03 and a captain as a senior, served as the Buckeyes’ honorary captain Saturday. He addressed the team at breakfast and was on the sideline during the Buckeye win. Kelly currently plays in Major League Lacrosse and the National Lacrosse League and works for STX.

Dalgarno now has 183 career points to remain in second in program history in career points. He is third in assists with 79. He has a team-best 11 goals and 17 points this year.

Ventiquattro has nine points in his last two games combined after posting two goals and two assists vs. Fairfield. He is third on the team with 12 points, including seven goals.

Freeman has 10 or more saves in each of his last three games and has 37 saves this year.

Ryan has three or more points in each game this year, with three hat tricks. He is second on the team with 10 goals and 15 points.

Ohio State’s defense held the Stags off the board from the 13:38 mark of the third quarter until the 1:17 mark of the fourth quarter, a stretch of 27:21.