Zac Dalpe, a freshman forward on the Ohio State men’s hockey team, blogged from the team’s trip to East Lansing, Mich., for a two-game Central Collegiate Hockey Association series with Michigan State this weekend. The Buckeyes and Spartans tied the first game Friday 1-1, with Hunter Bishop scoring with 11 seconds left in regulation to force overtime before the Spartans won the shootout to earn the extra league point. Saturday, Michigan State scored a power-play goal in the third to spoil 33 saves by Buckeye goalie Dustin Carlson en route to a 2-1 win.

The Buckeyes return home to host No. 4 Michigan this weekend. The teams will meet at 7:05 p.m. Friday live on the Big Ten Network and at 8:05 p.m. Saturday live on CBS College Sports.

Day 3 – Saturday
After a really good sleep, my phone alarm woke me up at 9:15. Another quick shower to wake myself up, and Elkins and I stumbled down to the lobby for some breakfast. After some French toast, eggs and some fruit, we boarded the bus to the rink. When we got to the rink, we went for a jog and a stretch to flush out the legs from the previous night and to get loose for tonight’s game. We then proceeded to look over some video and watch some positives and negatives from Friday night’s game. I also got to spend 5-10 minutes with my brother, dad and grandpa who were in town for the weekend to watch the Buckeyes. It’s always nice to see some sort of family because seeing them doesn’t come along often.

Then it was back to the hotel for our second meal of the day which consisted of parmesan chicken and a nice garden salad. Since it being a 5 p.m. game, nap time was shortened a little but I still got a solid hour in order to be rested up for the game. Corey Elkins had some oatmeal raisin cookies his aunt prepared for him so I found myself (out of character of course) eating a bunch on game day – that’s how good they must have been. Then once again I left my packing to the last minute so from 2:20 to bus time (2:50) it was a scramble to get everything together. We arrived at the rink and did our usual pregame routine of taping sticks, stretching and the list goes on. Once again, the game didn’t go our way and I believe the boys realize that. After the game I said goodbye to my brother Benny, father Paul and Grandpa Gordy and loaded onto the bus heading Columbus bound. After some pizza and Gatorade, me and my good buddy Dave Matthews rocked out on my iPod for the rest of the way…….

Day 2 Friday

It was Friday morning and after a 9:15 wake up and a quick shower, I was off to meet the team for breakfast in the lobby downstairs.  After Eggs, hash browns and some waffles, the boys and I were filled and ready to catch the bus for morning skate.  We got to the rink and eagerly taped our sticks and tied our skates and hopped onto the ice for our routine morning skate.  After our regular break-outs and a flow drill, we worked on some 3-on-3 down low and then that was it.  If you walked by our dressing room after pre game skate, you would have heard the oldies tunes pumping thanks to Matt Bartkowski.  We cleaned up and headed back to the hotel for another meal at 12:30. 

Then, it was what I think is the best part of game day, and that would be the pregame nap.  An hour and a half does the job for me, some sleep longer, but then there’s Hunter Bishop’s nap routine.  No comment.  I thought I had an awesome sleep which put me in a good mood while heading into the game.  We arrived at the rink around 5:10 p.m.  Our regular routine got us into game mode as we hit the ice for warm-ups at 6:27.  The game got underway and it was an emotional one to say the least and things at the end didn’t go our way but I believe we will respond tomorrow night. We did our cool-down after the game and got on the bus to come back to the hotel for our third and final meal of the day.  After the meal, Elkins and I came back to the room and watched Road Trip on T.V. until we both passed out.  Goodnight!!!!!! 

Day 1 – Thursday
My Thursday morning started off with an early phone alarm at 7:45. After a bowl of oatmeal and some milk I stole from my roommate schneidzy (Cory Schneider), I was off to Younkin Success Center to meet with John Macko to schedule classes for the upcoming quarter. I walked out of his office with a smile on my face because I knew I was taking a break from math (finally) and was eager to explore the exciting life of sociology? That was followed up by two hours of English, then math, then back to the dorms to do some last-minute packing. I eventually rolled into the rink around 1:45ish to be on the ice for 2:45. I thought practice moved along well as the passes were crisp and the boys were chirping as usual. We finished off with a routine rebound game vs. the big bad Joe Palmer. He got lucky to say the least. Then it was into the cold tub, our trainer Deits always tells me he runs out of warm ice while filling up the tub, so he made the temperature a brisk 42 degrees Fahrenheit.

Then it was time to get on the bus and head to East Lansing. After a great steak in Toledo, Ohio, and a couple terrible movie choices by our video coordinator (he knows who he is, I don’t need to drop any names) we finally arrived in East Lansing. We dropped off our equipment at the rink and took a look around to see where we were going to lace up the wheels for the following night. We arrived at the hotel around 11 p.m. and my roommate Elks and I headed to our room for the night. Little did we know the weirdest kid in all of hockey was connected to us (HUNTER BISHOP). He is by far the most unique individual I have ever met in my life, to say the least. I don’t think I would have enough room on this page to describe him in any way, shape or form. It was lights out at 12 a.m. so Corey Elkins can get some beauty sleep (because some girls in the past have said he is a better looking Brad Pitt) … I’m sorry bishop, I had to say at least something … Good Night!!!