COLUMBUS, Ohio The Ohio State men’s hockey team posted its second shutout in the last three games, as it downed host Robert Morris, 4-0, Friday in the Pittsburgh College Hockey Showcase in Mellon Arena in Pittsburgh. Freshman Ian Boots led the squad with a goal and an assist, with senior Corey Elkins recording two helpers. Sophomore goalie Dustin Carlson made 32 saves, as he recorded his second career shutout.

Ohio State moves to 5-5-1 on the year (3-4-1 CCHA) and extends its winning streak to three. Robert Morris drops to 2-6-2 (1-0-1 CHA). The teams will face off again Dec. 6 in Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland, Ohio.

The first period saw up-and-down hockey, with the Colonials outshooting the Buckeyes, 13-5. The Colonials had a goal disallowed at the 12:19 mark when the referee ruled the puck had been kicked in. The Buckeyes took the lead when Shane Sims sent Hunter Bishop down the left side and his shot trickled through RMU goalie Wes Russell’s 5-hole at 15:48. Each team had a short power-play chance in the period, along with two minutes of 4-on-4 hockey after coincidental penalties.

The Buckeyes took a 2-0 lead at 5:19 of the second period. Freshman Zac Dalpe broke in on Russell, who made the first save at the right of the net. The rebound went in the crease, and Buckeye senior captain Zach Pelletier was there to put in the rebound with Russell out of position. It was Pelletier’s first goal of the season and his first since Oct. 20, 2006. Freshman defenseman Steve West had the second assist on the goal, the first point of his Buckeye career. Ian Boots put Ohio State up 3-0 when his shot beat Russell high on the short side over his glove with 9.2 seconds left in the period. Elkins  had the assist on the goal, Boots’ second in three games. The Buckeyes had 10 shots in the period, with Carlson stopping all eight Colonial attempts on net. The Colonials held a 21-15 lead in shots through two periods. Ohio State was 0-for-2 on the power play in the period, with RMU 0-for-3.

The Colonials changed goalies to start the third, replacing Russell with Brooks Ostergard. Carlson was called into action at 1:45 of the period, stopping Jason Towsley on a breakaway. Freshman Taylor Stefishen scored his first career goal at 17:48, putting in the rebound of a Boots shot from just outside the crease, with Elkins on the second assist. Robert Morris had 11 shots on net in the period, with Ohio State putting just two on net. Each team was 0-for-1 on the power play in the period.

For the game, the Buckeyes were outshot 32-17. Carlson played 59:59 in his fourth win of the season. Russell played 40 minutes for the Colonials and had 12 saves, allowing three goals. Ostergard had one save and allowed a goal in 19:58.

Neither team was able to score on the power play. Ohio State was 0-for-4 and the Colonials were 0-for-5.

Postgame Notes
The Buckeyes will return to conference play with a two-game series at Northern Michigan next weekend. The teams will meet at 7:35 p.m. Nov. 21-22 in the Berry Events Center in Marquette, Mich.

The game marked the return to Pittsburgh for three Buckeye players – sophomores Sergio Somma and C.J. Severyn and freshman Matt Bartkowski. Assistant coach Jason Lammers, video coordinator JB Bittner and equipment manager Tim Adams also are Pittsburgh natives.

Dalpe and Elkins now share the team scoring lead with 10 points each.

Boots and Elkins each had their second two-point game of the season.

Jordan Staal and Ryan Whitney, members of the Pittsburgh Penguins, dropped the puck for a ceremonial faceoff.

The Buckeyes had a season-low 17 shots in the game.

Dalpe extended his scoring streak to four, with Bishop extending his point streak to three.

Bishop is on a three-game scoring streak and Dalpe has a point in each of his last four games.

Freshmen defensemen West and Sean Duddy each were a team-best +3 in the game.