COLUMBUS, Ohio – The No. 2 Ohio State men’s tennis team picked up its second win against Wright State this season when it beat the Raiders, 7-0, Thursday at Stickney Tennis Center. The Buckeyes now are 85-5 in their last 90 matches, including in the postseason.
Ohio State (27-1) now has won 69-consecutive matches at home dating back to the 2003 season. Wright State drops to 1-18 on the year. With the win, the Buckeyes improve to 4-0 against the Raiders all time.
Ohio State began the day playing the singles matches prior to the doubles contests. No. 24 Steven Moneke won his match at the top singles spot to give the Buckeyes a 1-0 lead. He beat Tony Teufel 6-1, 6-1. Moneke has now won 20-consecutive singles matches. No. 21 Justin Kronauge, a winner of his last 10 singles matches, downed Nick Camilleri 6-2, 6-1 at No. 2 singles. Senior Dominic Ozanne beat Jan Alafriz at No. 5 singles by a 6-0, 6-2 score.
Three Buckeyes won their respective matches 6-0, 6-0, including freshman Shuhei Uzawa at No. 3, Balazs Novak at No. 4 and Ty Schaub at No. 6. They beat Landon Neuman, Pip Rehg and Brett Stewart, respectively.
In doubles play, the 17th-ranked doubles tandem of freshman Koniecko and Moneke won their match at the top doubles spot. The pair beat Teufel and Alafriz, 8-2. Novak and Uzawa downed Camilleri and Neuman, 8-7, at No. 2 doubles to seal the doubles point for Ohio State. Ozanne and Christen Christensen completed the sweep when the Buckeye tandem downed Rehg and Krick, 8-1, at No. 3 doubles.
The Buckeyes will host their final regular-season home series of the season this weekend as they will take on No. 47 Penn State and No. 15 Michigan Saturday and Sunday, respectively. Both matches will start at noon. If the Scarlet and Gray win both contests, it will clinch its third-consecutive Big Ten regular-season title. The matches will be played at Stickney Tennis Center, weather permitting.
No. 2 Ohio State 7, Wright State 0
April 17, 2008
Stickney Tennis Center
1. No. 24 Steven Moneke (OSU) def. (WSU) 6-1, 6-1
2. No. 21 Justin Kronauge (OSU) def. Nick Camilleri (WSU) 6-2, 6-1
3. Shuhei Uzawa (OSU) def Landon Neuman (WSU) 6-0, 6-0
4. Balazs Novak (OSU) def. Pip Rehg (WSU) 6-0, 6-0
5. Dominic Ozanne def. Jan Alafriz (WSU) 6-0, 6-2
6. Ty Schaub (OSU) def. Brett Stewart (WSU) 6-0, 6-0
1. No. 17 Steven Moneke/Bryan Koniecko (OSU) def. Tony Teufel/Jan Alafriz (WSU) 8-2
2. Shuhei Uzawa/Balazs Novak (OSU) def. Nick Camilleri/Landon Neuman (WSU) 8-7
3. Dominic Ozanne/Christen Christensen (OSU) def. Pip Rehg/Brad Krick (WSU) 8-1