COLUMBUS, Ohio The second-ranked Ohio State men’s tennis team claimed match two of its doubleheader Friday against Toledo, 4-0, in the Ohio State Varsity Tennis Center. Ohio State beat Northwestern, 7-0, earlier today. The Buckeyes improve to 22-1 overall, while Toledo drops to 14-10.
The Buckeyes are 8-0 against the Rockets under head coach Ty Tucker. Tucker has guided the Buckeyes to eight 20-win seasons in his nine years as head coach.
The win extended Ohio State’s home win streak to 67-consecutive matches. The Scarlet and Gray is 81-5 in its last 86 contests, including the postseason. Ohio State has now posted shutouts in six of its 10 home matches this season.
Ohio State began the match by winning the doubles point. The tandem of Steven Moneke and Balazs Novak beat Chris Clark and Sven Burus at the top doubles spot, 8-2. At the No. 3 spot, Mike O’Connell and Shuhei Uzawa downed Jayson Miller and Wade Ward, 8-5.
Justin Kronauge and Bryan Koniecko completed the sweep by beating Jared Miller and Nutthavit Likitkumchorn, 8-5.
Kronauge, a sophomore out of Centerville, Ohio, who is ranked No. 19, won his match for the Scarlet and Gray at No. 2 singles as he beat Clark, 6-1, 6-0.
Koniecko, the 24th-ranked native of Long Island, N.Y., claimed a 6-1, 6-0 victory over Jared Miller. Koniecko was named the Big Ten Player of the Week, Wednesday. It was the sixth such award the Buckeyes have claimed this season.
Alten-Busick, Germany, native Moneke faced Burus at No. 3 singles. The Buckeye junior, who is ranked 27th, dropped Burus 6-0, 6-1 to clinch the match for the Buckeyes.
Uzawa led Likitkumchorn, 6-2, 2-0, at No. 4 singles before action was suspended. Novak was beating Jayson Miller at No. 5 singles by a 6-2, 3-0 margin and junior Ty Schaub was leading Ward at the No. 6 singles spot, 6-3, 3-2.
The Scarlet and Gray hosts No. 35 Wisconsin at noon Sunday. All remaining home matches are scheduled to be played at the Buckeyes’ outdoor facility, Stickney Tennis Center, weather permitting.
No. 2 Ohio State 4, Toledo 0
April 4, 2008
OSU Varsity Tennis Center
1. No. 18 Bryan Koniecko (OSU) def. Jared Miller (UT), 6-1, 6-0
2. No. 17 Justin Kronauge (OSU) def. Chris Clark (UT), 6-1, 6-0
3. No. 33 Steven Moneke (OSU) def. Sven Burus (UT), 6-0, 6-1
4. Shuhei Uzawa (OSU) led. Nutthavit Likitkumchorn (UT) 6-2, 2-0
5. Balazs Novak (OSU) led. Jayson Miller (UT), 6-2, 3-0
6. Ty Schaub (OSU) led. Wade Ward (UT), 6-3, 3-2
1. Steven Moneke/Balazs Novak (OSU) def. Chris Clark/Sven Burus (UT), 8-2
2. Justin Kronauge/Bryan Koniecko (OSU) def. Jared Miller/Nutthavit Likitkumchorn (UT), 8-6
3. Mike O’Connell/Shuhei Uzawa (OSU) def. Jayson Miller/Wade Ward (UT), 8-5
Ohio State 22-1; National ranking No. 2
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (2,1,3)