April 29, 2005
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The No. 26 Ohio State men’s tennis team (18-7, 9-2 Big Ten) defeated the No. 7 seed Minnesota, 4-0, Friday in second round action at the Big Ten Championship in Champaign, Ill. The Buckeyes, the No. 2 seed of the tournament, advanced to the semifinal round and will face the No. 3 seed Michigan Saturday at 3 p.m. EST in Champaign.
In doubles action, the No. 3 court wrapped up first as Minnesota’s DJ Geatz and Mikey Kantar defeated the OSU tandem of Joey Atas (So., Baltimore, Md./Calvert Hall) and Drew Eberly (Fr., Lake Forest, Ill./Lake Forest), 8-6. Sophomore Buckeyes Chris Klingemann (Bradenton, Fla./Texas Tech Independent) and Devin Mullings (Freeport, Bahamas/Ft. Lauderdale Prepatory) evened the doubles portion with an 8-4 win over Nick Edlefsen and Rauol Schwark at the No. 2 position.
The lone doubles point came down to the No. 1 spot as the match, knotted at 8-all, was forced into a tie-break. The junior duo of Scott Green (North Canton, Ohio/Hoover) and Ross Wilson (Toledo, Ohio/Toledo St. Francis de Sales) clinched the point for the Buckeyes after a 9-8 (3) tie-break victory over Adrien Debreyne and Avery Ticer.
In singles competition, Atas finished first for the Buckeyes after a 6-3, 6-2 straight set performance over DJ Geatz at the No. 3 spot. Freshman Eberly followed Atas and put the squad’s third point on the board after he topped Brian Lipinski, 6-0, 7-5, at No. 6.
Mullings clinched the 4-0 shutout for Ohio State at the No. 1 singles position. The sophomore Buckeye, ranked No. 57 in the ITA Division I singles poll, upset the No. 31 player Minnesota’s Avery Ticer, 6-2, 6-4, for the match win.
The win over Minnesota marked the fifth consecutive season the Buckeyes advanced to the semifinal round at the conference championships. Last year at the tournament, Ohio State defeated Wisconsin, 4-0, in the second round and topped Minnesota, 4-0, in semifinal action to advance to the championship match against Illinois.
No. 2 seed Ohio State, 4
No. 7 seed Minnesota, 0
1. #57 Devin Mullings (OSU) def. #31 Avery Ticer (UM), 6-2, 6-4
2. Chris Klingemann (OSU) vs. Adrien Debreyne (UM), 7-5, 5-4 DNF
3. #59 Joey Atas (OSU) def. DJ Geatz (UM), 6-3, 6-2
4. Scott Green (OSU) vs. Nick Edlefsen (UM), 6-3, 4-6, 3-4 DNF
5. Ross Wilson (OSU) vs. Rauol Schwark (UM), 6-4, 1-6, 2-3 DNF
6. Drew Eberly (OSU) def. Brian Lipinski (OSU), 6-0, 7-5
Order of finish: 3, 6, 1
1. #5 Green/Wilson (OSU) def. Debreyne/Ticer (UM), 9-8 (3)
2. Klingemann/Mullings (OSU) def. Edlefsen/Schwark (UM), 8-4
3. Geatz/Kantar (UM) def. Atas/Drew Eberly (OSU), 8-6
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1