COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio State women’s tennis team will serve as host for the ITA Midwest Regional this weekend in Columbus. The tournament includes a 32-player singles draw and 16-team doubles bracket. A consolation draw for singles is expected to be played as well. The regional doubles champion and singles finalists will qualify for the ITA National Fall Championships.
Main draw matches will be played inside the Ty Tucker Tennis Center. Consolation matches will be played outside, weather permitting, at the Auer Tennis Complex. Admission is free to all matches.
Links for live video and score updates, brackets and more are available on the TOURNAMENT CENTRAL page.
In the Midwest Regional, Lina Ali, Madeline Atway, Irina Cantos Siemers, Lucia Marzal and Sydni Ratliff will represent the Buckeyes in singles, while the duos of Kolie Allen/Isabelle Boulais and Cantos Siemers/Ratliff will be in the doubles draw.
Friday, Oct. 22
9 a.m. – Doubles first round (8 matches)
11 a.m. – Doubles quarterfinals
1 p.m. – Singles first round (16 matches)
Saturday, Oct. 23
9 a.m. – Doubles semifinals
10:30 a.m. – Singles second round
Noon – Singles consolation
3 p.m. – Singles quarterfinals
Sunday, Oct. 24
10 a.m. – Doubles final
10 a.m. – Singles semifinal
Noon – Singles consolation
Monday, Oct. 25
10 a.m. – Singles final
Buckeyes in the ITA Midwest Regional
- In 2016, Miho Kowase and Anna Sanford won the regional doubles championship, the first ITA regional title in program history.
- Current graduate student Luna Dormet reached the doubles final in both 2018 and ’19.
- Ohio State last served as the host of the ITA Midwest Regional in October, 2011.
- Madeline Atway reached the Round of 16 at the ITA Midwest Regional early rounds at Illinois in September to earn a spot in the Super Regional.
Buckeye This and That
- Of the Buckeyes competing this weekend, Lina Ali is 5-5 this fall, with Madeline Atway 8-2, Irina Cantos Siemers 5-3, Lucia Marzal 3-5 and Sydni Ratliff 5-2.
- In doubles, Cantos Siemers and Ratliff are 2-1 this fall and will compete this weekend. The tandem of Kolie Allen and Isabelle Boulais has not yet competed this season.
- The Buckeyes last played in early October. Irina Cantos Siemers was at the ITA All-American Championships, where she won two matches before falling in the quarterfinals.
- Another four Buckeyes were in Cincinnati for the UC/Xavier Invite. In singles, Lina Ali was 2-1 in the tournament, with two super tiebreaker victories, while Kolie Allen went 1-1 and Dani Schoenly dropped two matches. Ali and Schoenly teamed up to go 1-1 in doubles.
- The Buckeyes will travel to Columbia, S.C., for the Gamecock Hidden Dual Oct. 29-31.
- The ITA Fall Championships will be held for qualified players Nov. 4-7 in San Diego, Calif.
- Ohio State is slated to wrap up its fall schedule at the ASU Thunderbird Invitational in Tempe, Ariz., Nov. 5-7.