Cleveland State at Ohio State
Date: Sept. 21
Time: 7 p.m.
Venue: Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium (8,000)
Live Stats: OhioStateBuckeyes.com
Game Notes: Ohio State | Cleveland State
Rosters: Ohio State | Cleveland State
Season Stats: Ohio State | Cleveland State
COLUMBUS, Ohio – Following the 1-0 win over No. 7 Akron last Wednesday, the Buckeyes continue a four-game homestand vs. Cleveland State Tuesday (7 p.m.). No. 8 Maryland comes to Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium Friday in the Big Ten Conference opener followed by Bowling Green Sept. 29. The game vs. the Terps will be the third Top 10 opponent for the Buckeyes in a four-game stretch.
- Follow live stats at OhioStateBuckeyes.com. the game will be live streamed on B1G+($).
- Ohio State shutout No. 7 Akron the last time out on a goal by freshman Joakim Jahnsen (35′). The Buckeye defense in front of senior keeper Keagan McLaughlin kept the Zips off the board to secure the shutout.
- Five of six games this season have been decided by one goal. The other was a double overtime 1-all draw vs. Creighton at the IU Classic.
- Sophomores Deylen Vellios and Laurence Wootton along with senior Xavier Green were named 2021 Big Ten Players to Watch Aug. 23 following a vote by the Big Ten Coaches prior to the season. Wootton and Green lead the Buckeyes with five points. Each have two goals and an assist on the year.
- Ohio State returned all 12 players with points from the 2021 Spring season, including all eight goal scorers.
- Wootton and Parker Grinstead led the Buckeyes offensively last spring and both were members of the Big Ten All-Freshman team. Wootton was named First Team All-Big Ten and was named the league’s 2021 Freshman of the Year.
- Three Buckeyes elected to use the extra year of eligibility afforded by the NCAA because of the COVID-19 pandemic. Samuel Buzzas, Joe Ortiz and Noah Lawrence return to the Ohio State roster for the extra year.
- Ohio State is playing its fourth season under head coach Brian Maisonneuve.
- Maisonneuve was associate head coach at Indiana University, guiding the team to the 2012 NCAA national title. He was a member of the Columbus Crew from 1996-2004.
- Ohio State started the season with a 1-1 record in the annual Wolstein Classic on the Ohio State campus. The Buckeyes defeated Memphis 3-2 and fell to UAB 2-1 in overtime. Laurence Wootton and Channing Chasten earned All-Tournament honors.
- Ohio State holds a 119-66-31 record in Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium since the facility opened in 1999.
News and Nuggets
- Academically in 2020-21, the Buckeyes placed 26 players on the OSU Scholar Athlete list, 16 were named Academic All-Big Ten and three were named Big Ten Distinguished Scholar list.
- Keagan McLaughlin began his Ohio State career following a transfer from Notre Dame after three years in an Irish uniform. The Zanesville, Ohio, played in the two games at the IU Classic in Bloomington and then most recently vs. No. 7 Akron (W, 1-0).