April 2, 2005
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio State women’s tennis team lost to Illinois, 5-2, Saturday at the Jesse Owens West Tennis Center in Columbus, Ohio. The Buckeyes fell to 6-12 (1-2 Big Ten), while the Fighting Illini improved to 3-1 in conference play and 9-6 overall. Kristin Messmer and Lindsay Bryan both won singles matches for the second-consecutive match. Including the 2004 Big Ten Championship, Bryan has won eight Big Ten singles matches in a row.
The Buckeyes led early in all three doubles matches, but could hold on for only one victory. Ohio State’s sophomore duo Sonia Ruzimovsky (Soph., Brooklyn, N.Y./Brooklyn Tech) and Messmer (Soph., Lutherville, Md./McDonogh) defeated Momei Qu and Pavlina Akritas, 8-5, at the No. 3 spot, but Buckeyes Lindsey Adams (Sr., Mercer Island, Wash./Mercer Island) and Caitlin O’Keefe (Fr., Troy, Mich./Troy) could not hold a 5-2 lead at the No. 1 position, where they fell to Cynthia Goulet and Emily Wang, 8-5, in the match that clinched the doubles point for the Illini.
In singles, the Illini extended their lead to 3-0 with victories at No. 2 and No. 3, but the Buckeyes got back-to-back wins from Messmer and Bryan (Sr., New Orleans, La./Ursuline Academy) to stay in the match. Playing at the No. 5 position, Messmer swept Alejandra Cuadra, 6-3, 6-3. Bryan downed Akritas, 6-2, 7-6 (4), at No. 6.
The Illini clinched the match shortly after, however, when No. 59-ranked Goulet beat Adams, 6-2, 6-1, at the No. 1 position.
The Buckeyes return to action at 11 a.m. tomorrow when they play host to Purdue at the Jesse Owens West Tennis Center in Columbus, Ohio.
Tennis Match Results
Illinois vs Ohio State
Apr 02, 2005 at Columbus, Ohio
#53 Illinois 5, #68 Ohio State 2
1. #59 Cynthya Goulet (ILLWMN) def. Lindsey Adams (OSU) 6-2, 6-1
2. Macall Harkins (ILLWMN) def. Emily DeCamilla (OSU) 7-6, 6-2
3. Momei Qu (ILLWMN) def. Sonia Ruzimovsky (OSU) 6-0, 6-2
4. Brianna Knue (ILLWMN) def. Caitlin O’Keefe (OSU) 7-5, 6-2
5. Kristin Messmer (OSU) def. Alejandra Cuadra (ILLWMN) 6-3, 6-3
6. Lindsay Bryan (OSU) def. Pavlina Akritas (ILLWMN) 6-2, 7-6 (7-4)
1. Goulet/Wang (ILLWMN) def. Adams/O’Keefe (OSU) 8-5
2. Harkins/Knue (ILLWMN) def. Vincent/DeCamilla (OSU) 8-4
3. Messmer/Ruzimovsky (OSU) def. Qu/Akritas (ILLWMN) 8-5
Illinois 9-6, 3-1 Big Ten; National ranking #53
Ohio State 6-12, 1-2 Big Ten; National ranking #68
Order of finish: 3, 2, 5, 6, 1*, 4
* clinching match