Feb. 13, 2005
Columbus, Ohio – The Ohio State women’s tennis team lost to Georgia Tech, 5-2, Sunday afternoon at the Jesse Owens West Recreation Center in Columbus, Ohio. The Buckeyes fall to 2-4 (0-0 Big Ten) while the Yellow Jackets moved to 3-0 (0-0 ACC). Anna Volberg and Sonia Ruzimovsky earned wins in the singles lineup for the Buckeyes.
In doubles, Georgia Tech won all three matches to clinch the doubles point. Ohio State’s Lindsey Adams (Sr., Mercer Island, Wash./Mercer Island) and Ruzimovsky (Brooklyn, N.Y./Brooklyn Tech) led No. 10-ranked duo Kelly Anderson and Lyndsay Shosho, 3-2, before falling by the final of 8-4 at the No. 1 position. At No. 2, Buckeye tandem Emily DeCamilla (Sr., Sacramento, Calif./Maryland) and Meredith Vincent (Sr., Cincinnati, Ohio/Va. Tech) were edged by Kacie Anson and Dasha Potapova, 9-7, while Buckeyes Caitlin O’Keefe (Fr., Troy, Mich./Troy) and Anna Volberg (Soph., Toledo, Ohio/St. Ursula) lost to Whitney McCray and Esther van Londen, 8-4, at No. 3.
In singles, Ruzimovsky improved to 5-0 on the spring season by defeating McCray, 5-7, 6-4, 1-0 (6), at the No. 5 position. At No. 3, Volberg beat Potapova, 6-4, 6-3. Overall, Ruzimovsky leads the Buckeyes with 15 singles wins this season.
In other singles action, No. 18 Miller beat DeCamilla, 6-1, 6-2, at the No. 1 position and No. 59 Anderson downed Adams, 7-5, 6-2, at the No. 2 spot.
The Buckeyes return to action Saturday when they play host to Auburn at 4 p.m. at the Jesse Owens West Recreation Center.
Tennis Match Results
Georgia Tech vs Ohio State
Feb 13, 2005 at Columbus, Ohio
#31 Georgia Tech 5, #65 Ohio State 2
1. #18 Kristi Miller (GT) def. Emily DeCamilla (OSU) 6-1, 6-2
2. #79 Kelly Anderson (GT) def. Lindsey Adams (OSU) 7-5, 6-2
3. *Anna Volberg (OSU) def. Dasha Potapova (GT) 6-4, 6-3
4. Alison Silverio (GT) def. Kristin Messmer (OSU) 6-1, 6-3
5. Sonia Ruzimovsky (OSU) def. Whitney McCray (GT) 5-7, 6-4, 1-0 (10-6)
6. Kacie Anson (GT) def. Lindsay Bryan (OSU) 3-6, 6-3, 1-0 (12-10)
Order of finish: 1,4,3,2*,5,6
* denotes clinching match
1. #10 Kelly Anderson/Lyndsay Shosho (GT) def. Lindsey Adams/Sonia Ruzimovsky (OSU) 8-4
2. Kacie Anson/Dasha Potapova (GT) def. Emily DeCamilla/Meredith Vincent (OSU) 9-7
3. Whitney McCray/Esther van Londen (GT) def. Caitlin O’Keefe/Anna Volberg (OSU) 8-4
Georgia Tech 3-0; National ranking #31
Ohio State 2-4; National ranking #65