COLUMBUS, Ohio – Senior Kirsten Flower rallied for a three-set win at No. 1 singles, lifting the 33rd-ranked Ohio State women’s tennis team (17-7, 4-4 Big Ten) to a victory over 38th-ranked Indiana (14-7, 4-4 Big Ten) in Bloomington, Ind., Sunday afternoon. The Buckeyes began the match down 1-0 after losing the doubles point but got straight-set singles wins from Gabby Steele, Cami Hubbs and Kelsey Hubbs to take a 3-2 lead. Indiana tied the match with a win at No. 2 but No. 69-ranked Flower came from behind after dropping the first set to down Leslie Hureau and secure the win for Ohio State.
The Hoosiers earned the team doubles point after the 68th-ranked duo of Lindsey Stuckey and Evgeniya Vertesheva defeated Haviland and Hubbs, 8-6.
The No. 2 Buckeye tandem of Paloma Escobedo and Christina Keesey took its match against Leslie Hureau and Myriam Sopel, 8-3, to start the day and extend its win streak to six, but Fidan Manashirova and Steele fell to Charlotte Martin and Katya Zapadalova, 8-5, at No. 3 followed by the Hoosiers’ clinching win.
Steele finished first in singles, dropping just one game against Sopel, 6-0, 6-1, at No. 4 to increase her team-leading win total to 24. Stuckey struck back for the Hoosiers with her victory against Keesey, 6-2, 6-3, at No. 5.
Hubbs tied the match for the Scarlet and Gray following her win against Martin, 6-3, 6-4, on court 6. At the No. 3 position Haviland took her match against Zapadalova, 7-5, 6-2, to put the Buckeyes up by one (3-2) and record her 20th singles victory this year.
Indiana’s Vertesheva postponed the Ohio State victory, however, after taking the match on court two against Escobedo in the third set, 6-1, 3-6, 6-0.
For the second time in two days, Ohio State’s fate came down to the match on court one. Flower struggled in the first set, dropping the frame to Hureau 6-0, but the senior Buckeye battled back to take the last two sets to win, 0-6, 6-4, 7-5, and clinch the victory for the Scarlet and Gray. The win was Flower’s 20th of the year, tying her for second on the team.
The Buckeyes return home next weekend for the last two regular season matches of the year, facing Wisconsin Friday at 6 p.m. EST and Northwestern on Senior Day at noon EST Sunday.
Tennis Match Results
Ohio State vs Indiana
Apr. 18 at Bloomington, Ind.
#33 Ohio State 4, #38 Indiana 3
1. #69 Kirsten Flower (OSU) def. Leslie Hureau (IND) 0-6, 6-4, 7-5
2. Evgeniya Vertesheva (IND) def. Paloma Escobedo (OSU) 6-1, 3-6, 6-0
3. Kelsey Haviland (OSU) def. Katya Zapadalova (IND) 7-5, 6-2
4. Gabby Steele (OSU) def. Myriam Sopel (IND) 6-0, 6-1
5. Lindsey Stuckey (IND) def. Christina Keesey (OSU) 6-2, 6-3
6. Cami Hubbs (OSU) def. Charlotte Martin (IND) 6-3, 6-4
1. #68 Lindsey Stuckey/Evgeniya Vertesheva (IND) def. Kelsey Haviland/Cami Hubbs (OSU) 8-6
2. Paloma Escobedo/Christina Keesey (OSU) def. Leslie Hureau/Myriam Sopel (IND) 8-3
3. Charlotte Martin/Katya Zapadalova (IND) def. Fidan Manashirova/Gabby Steele (OSU) 8-5
Ohio State 17-7, 4-4; National ranking #33
Indiana 14-7, 4-4; National ranking #38
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (4,5,6,3,2,1)