WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. – Members of the Ohio State swimming & diving team teamed up with the best athletes in the Big Ten Conference to throw down the fastest times in the nation at the ACC/Big Ten Swimming & Diving Challenge on Saturday evening at the Morgan J. Burke Aquatic Center. The Buckeyes kept up the pace, registering season-best times and NCAA “B” cuts aplenty.
On the men’s side, the race between the conferences is tight, holding at 85-82 in favor of the B1G. The women sit comfortably with a 123-44 lead over the ACC team. Action resumes tomorrow at 10 a.m. and will be broadcast live on Big Ten Network.
• 400 IM – Kristen Romano, fourth place (4:11.74)
• 500 Free – Molly Kowal, sixth place (4:45.36)
• 800 Free Relay – Kristen Romano, anchor leg for Big Ten “B”, third place (1:47.37 split, 7:10.07 relay time)
• Platform – Lara Tarvit, seventh place (250.25)
• 400 Medley Relay – Ruslan Gaziev, freestyle leg for Big Ten “A”, second place (42.84 split, 3:06.47 relay time); Noah Lense, butterfly leg for Big Ten “B”, third place (46.47 split, 3:06.95 relay time); Michael Salazar, butterfly leg for Big Ten “C”, sixth place (46.66 split, 3:11.53 relay time)
• 400 IM – Nick Hogsed, eighth place (3:53.28)
• 100 Free – Ruslan Gaziev, sixth place (43.93)
• 100 Fly – Michael Salazar, fourth place (46.92); Noah Lense, fifth place (47.39)
• 500 Free – Nick Hogsed, fifth place (4:21.81)
• 800 Free Relay – Paul DeLakis, second leg for Big Ten “B”, fourth place (1:35.66 split, 6:27.83 relay time)
NO. 15 WOMEN’S TEAM NOTES
• Kristen Romano kicked off the competition for the Buckeye women’s team, swimming her first 400 IM of the season. She posted the fastest time of the season yet for Ohio State, touching the wall at 4:11.74. That time is an NCAA B cut.
• Molly Kowal registered a season-best 500 Free time of 4:45.36, which is an NCAA B cut time.
• Romano finished out the swimming events as the anchor leg on the Big Ten “B” 800 Free Relay team, swimming with Ally McHugh (Penn State), Mackenzie Padington (Minnesota) and Hannah Burvill (Iowa). She clocked a time of 1:47.37 and the group finished third with a time of 7:10.07.
• Lara Tarvit represented OSU on the platform, competing in the event for the first time this season. She scored 250.25, claiming seventh.
NO. 10 MEN’S TEAM NOTES
• Ruslan Gaziev, Michael Salazar and Noah Lense all swam on different relay teams for the event-opening 400 Medley Relay.
• Gaziev was on the “A” team with Gabriel Fantoni, Ian Finnerty and Vinicius Lanza, all from Indiana. He anchored the squad with a 42.84 freestyle split, helping the team to a second-place finish with a time of 3:06.47.
• Lense swam the butterfly leg on the “B” team, clocking a 46.47 split and placing third as a squad.
• Salazar posted a butterfly split of 46.66 on the “C” team, coming in sixth.
• Nick Hogsed’s 400 IM time of 3:53.28 was not only a season-best, but a team-best. Hogsed also posted an NCAA B cut in the 500 Free, clocking in at his fastest time of the season yet, 4:21.81.
• Salazar and Lense went 4-5 in the 100 Fly, both achieving NCAA B cuts and scoring points for the Big Ten team. Salazar touched the wall at 46.92 and Lense at 47.39, the new quickest times of the season for the Buckeyes.
• Paul DeLakis was the second leg of the Big Ten “B” team in the 800 Free Relay. DeLakis paced the quartet with a split of 1:35.66, swimming with Indiana’s Ian Finnerty, Michigan’s Luiz Borges and Minnesota’s Nicholas Saulnier.
• Christo Law finished seventh on the 3-Meter board, totaling a score of 360.80.
Competition continues tomorrow at 10 a.m. at the Morgan J. Burke Aquatic Center. The action will be live on Big Ten Network.