2021-22 Roster // 2021 Fall Ball Schedule // 2021 Stats
COLUMBUS, Ohio – Softball returns to Buckeye Field this week as Ohio State opens its fall ball schedule with three games. The Buckeyes face Ohio Dominican on Friday, Sept. 24 at 6 p.m. for a nine-inning game and then host Kentucky on Sunday for a doubleheader beginning at 1 p.m. Admission is free.
The Basics on the Buckeyes
- Ohio State, coming off a 24-19 campaign last spring against a Big Ten-only schedule, returns 17 letterwinners, seven starters and three pitchers.
- During the offseason, the Buckeyes added six newcomers – four freshmen and two transfers.
- Ohio State’s 2021 leader is batting average (Mariah Rodriguez – .358), home runs (Sam Hackenbracht – 12), RBI (Meggie Otte – 28) and wins (Allison Smith – 12) all return this season.
- Both Rodriguez and Hackenbracht were All-Big Ten selections in 2021 while Smith was one of only two pitchers on the All-Freshman Team.
- The two transfers joining the program for 2021-22 are Lexie Handley, a pitcher who spent the past three years at Auburn, a Jaycee Ruberti, an outfielder an All-CAA selection at Hofstra.
- Head coach Kelly Kovach Schoenly begins her 10th season leading the Buckeyes and has a 267-169-1 (.612) record during her tenure. Her teams have finished with 30 or more wins in seven of the last eight full seasons.
More on Fall Ball
- Ohio State’s 2021 fall ball schedule continues next weekend with the return of the Ohio Collegiate Charity Classic.
- Games will be played at both Fred Beekman Park and Buckeye Field. Admission to the games is free and donations to the The James Cancer Hospital and Solove Research Institute are encouraged.
- All proceeds from the weekend support research and treatment at The James.
- The Buckeyes have two games scheduled as part of the Classic, both occurring on Saturday, Oct. 3. They’ll face Bowling Green at 12:30 p.m. and Ohio at 3 p.m. Both games will be played at Buckeye Field.
- Next Sunday, Oct. 3, Ohio State welcomes Pitt to Columbus for a doubleheader beginning at 1 p.m.
- Ohio State’s fall ball schedule concludes on Sunday, Oct. 10 with a single game at Akron beginning at 3 p.m.
Who’s New in 2021-22
- Ohio State signed five freshmen last November who are all now officially Buckeyes: Kennedy Kay, a pitcher from Creston, Ohio; Kami Kortokrax, an infielder/utility player from Westerville, Ohio; Melina Wilkison, an outfielder from Greensburg, Ind.; Reagan Milliken, an infielder from Bethal Park, Pa.; and Kaitlyn Farley, an infielder/outfielder from Encinitas, Calif.
- Added to the newcomer mix are Lexie Handley, a pitcher from Auburn who is a native of Mogadore, Ohio, and Jaycee Ruberti, who started 92 games over three seasons at Hofstra.
- The Buckeyes’ roster has 14 Ohio natives on it as well as six natives of California and one each from Georgia, Pennsylvania, Virginia and Indiana.