ADDITIONAL INFO: Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | 2019 Roster | 2019 Schedule | PDF Box Score | Season Stats | HTML Box
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio State men’s soccer team (5-1) took down a tough South Florida team (3-2), 2-0, with two goals in the second half from redshirt sophomore Devyn Etling. The Buckeyes have played four consecutive games away from home and have won them all to secure five consecutive wins including a win over UIC at home.
Etling was named the Big Ten Offensive Player of the Week earlier in the day after a goal and an assist in Ohio State’s 2-1 win at No. 25 Bowling Green last Friday.
- The match featured two great defending teams and it showed in the early going as both teams combined surrendered only two shots in the first 18 minutes of play.
- In the 21st minute, Samuel Buzzas put a header to the low left corner but the USF keeper just barely got his hands on it to deny the shot.
- Parker Siegfried picked up two good saves in the first 45 to keep the Bulls off the board.
- After half, both teams created good tries but each defense stepped up to keep the match scoreless.
- That all changed in the 85th minute when Osman Fofanah dribbled down the left side and put a cross in to Devyn Etling, who headed it home over top of a defender to break the tie.
- In the 89th minute, the Buckeyes sealed the match as Xavier Green moved the ball across midfield, dished the ball to Etling who faked once and fired a strike from the right side to net his second of the match.
- Devyn Etling scored his fourth and fifth goals of the season, bringing his career tally to eight.
- Etling is the second Buckeye to score multiple goals in a match this year, the first was Jack Holland (2) versus CSUN.
- Xavier Green picked up his first assist of his career. Ohio State now has 11 assists from eight players on the season.
- The Buckeyes have now won five consecutive matches dating back to Sept. 1 vs. UIC.
- The last time Ohio State won four consecutive road matches was at the end of the 2009 season against Indiana (4-2) and Penn State (1-0), and beginning of 2010 versus Binghamton (1-0) and Bucknell (2-1)
- Siegfriend has 15 career shutouts and three this season. He has not surrendered a goal in the last 177 minutes of game action.
Shots: USF 14, Ohio State 6
Saves: Ohio State 5, USF 2
Shots on Goal: USF 5, Ohio State 4
Corner Kicks: Ohio State 7, USF 2
The Buckeyes return to Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium to open Big Ten play versus Penn State (3-1-1) at 7 p.m. Saturday.