Nov. 14, 2015


Columbus, Ohio
Bert L. & Iris S. Wolstein Field at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium
2OT: Ohio State 2 (12-6-3), Butler 1 (16-7-1)
Attendance: 594

COLUMBUS, Ohio – Sammy Edwards’ game-winner in the 107th minute lifted the Ohio State women’s soccer team over Butler, 2-1, in the opening round of the NCAA Tournament Saturday night at Bert L. & Iris S. Wolstein Field at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium. With the win, the Buckeyes advance to take on fourth-seeded Virginia Tech in the second round at 3 p.m. Friday in State College, Pa.

“This was a highly-entertaining game and Butler certainly tested us in many ways,” Lori Walker, Ohio State head coach, said. “I’m proud of this team and the energy the found in overtime to find a way to get a win. We’ve been in overtime multiple times this year and I think that gave us the confidence to come out on top. I’m really pleased we have the opportunity to advance.”

After Butler knotted the match with one second remaining in regulation, the match advanced into a second overtime where Edwards finished from eight yards off a beautiful cross from Nikki Walts on the right wing.

“I had kind of beaten myself over some misses in the first half,” Edwards said. “I kept trying to make things happen and put shots on goal and then Coach Walker talked to me about getting my body weight over the ball so my shots would stop going high and that’s what I did on the game-winner.”

Nichelle Prince was creating problems early for Butler down the right wing. In the 13th minute, she played a cross from the right wing but a Butler defender blocked Lindsay Agnew’s volley from six yards on the far post and Sammy Edwards’ strike on the rebound narrowly sailed over the crossbar.

In the 20th minute, Prince made the same run and crossed to the center of the box to a streaking Edwards but her volley flew high again as the game remained scoreless.

Butler’s best chance came in the 37th minute when a failed clearance off a corner fell right to the foot of Maria Collica but her shot from 15 yards on the right wing flew right into the arms of Ohio State goalkeeper Jillian McVicker.

With three minutes remaining in the first half, Nikki Walts almost gave the Buckeyes the lead but her free kick from just outside the top of the box just missed the right post as the match remained scoreless after 45 minutes.

Over the first 45 minutes, Ohio State held an 8-5 lead in shots and a 5-4 advantage in corners. Butler had a 2-1 lead in shots on goal.

The Buckeyes continued to create chances out of the break as Prince had a chance from six yards off a Michela Paradiso feed but a Butler defender was able to save the shot off the line to keep the game scoreless.

In the 70th minute, Breann Pempek had an opportunity for the Bulldogs but her strike from 10 yards sailed just over the crossbar.

Ohio State then took the lead in the 86th minute when Walts played a corner toward the far post off the top of the crossbar and Morgan Wolcott possessed and flicked a shot just inside the right post from six yards to make it a 1-0 game.

“I’ve had some other goals but this has to go down as the best.” Wolcott said. “We kept fighting and knew the goals were going to come and I’m happy it found the back of the net. It’s exciting to help us advance in the NCAA Tournament.”

The Buckeyes continued to keep the Bulldogs off the scoreboard until Butler knotted the score in the final 10 seconds. A Bulldog drew a foul with three seconds remaining and Sophia Maccagnone finished a free kick from 25 yards inside the right post in the final second as the match headed to overtime.

Ohio State almost won it in the 102nd minute when Sydney Dudley played a cross from the right wing to Agnew at the far post but Agnew’s shot narrowly missed wide left.

The match then headed into the second overtime where Edwards won it for the Buckeyes.

For the game, Ohio State held a 22-18 lead in shots, 7-6 on goal, and tallied a 10-7 advantage in corner kicks.