March 10, 2019

Comeback Falls Short as Ohio State Falls to No. 21 Wisconsin, 73-67, in Overtime


RELATED INFO: Follow the Buckeyes on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram | 2018-19 Schedule | 2018-19 Roster | HTML Box Score | PDF Box Score | Season Statistics | Photo Gallery | Postgame Notes | Postgame Press Conference | Highlights | Big Ten Tournament Bracket

COLUMBUS, Ohio – A furious comeback fell just short as the Ohio State men’s basketball team dropped a 73-67 overtime decision to No. 21 Wisconsin on Senior Day Sunday at Value City Arena. With the loss, the Buckeyes close the regular season 18-13 overall and 8-12 in the Big Ten while the Badgers improve to 22-9, 14-6 in conference play.

Ohio State has earned the No. 8 seed in the Big Ten Tournament and will take on No. 9 seed Indiana at 12:30 p.m. ET Thursday at the United Center in Chicago.

C.J. Jackson scored 17 of his team-high 22 after halftime to go along with five rebounds and five assists while Keyshawn Woods went for nine points, five boards and four assists and Justin Ahrens chipped in with nine points and career-best seven boards. Khalil Iverson led Wisconsin with 22 points to go along with 14 rebounds while Ethan Happ went for 16 points, 14 rebounds and eight assists.

Both teams started the game cold with Wisconsin holding a 5-0 lead as the Buckeyes missed their first 11 attempts before a Duane Washington Jr. layup at the 14:01 mark made it 5-2. The Buckeyes knotted the score at 10-10 on a Musa Jallow layup with 8:44 left to play but the Badgers scored the next seven over the follow 1:08 to take a 17-10 lead with 7:16 remaining. Wisconsin then held Ohio State to one field goal over the final six-plus minutes of the half as the Badgers took a 26-16 lead into the half.

Washington Jr. paced Ohio State with seven points at the half while Iverson led Wisconsin with 10 points and seven rebounds.

Wisconsin started the second half hot, extending its lead to 44-21 on an Iverson layup less than four minutes into the half. The Badger lead stood at 58-36 when the Buckeyes continued to chip away, closing regulation on a 16-1 spurt over the final 3:57 as Jackson’s 3-pointer in the closing seconds fell short and the game headed to overtime at 63-all.

Iverson opened the overtime with two layups as the Badgers took a 69-65 lead with 43 seconds left to play. Woods followed with a layup to cut it to 69-67 but Davison hit two free throws the next time down the court before Woods missed another three and D’Mitrik Trice capped it with a pair of free throws in the final seconds to seal it.