COLUMBUS, Ohio – With five goals in the third period, including two from Peter Boyd, the Ohio State men’s hockey team skated to a 5-3 victory over Army Sunday on day two of the Sheraton/TD Bank Catamount Cup in Gutterson Fieldhouse in Burlington, Vt. After a scoreless first period the teams traded goals in the first 6:27 of the middle stanza. After the Black Knights tied the game, the Buckeyes went on a four-goal run to close out the period with a 5-1 advantage. Army scored twice in the third to draw within two, but Ohio State held on for the non-conference victory.
Ohio State moves to 10-8-1 on the year and has won its last four games. Ohio State, the only team to post two wins in the tournament, won the 2011 Catamount Cup title. Vermont defeated Harvard Saturday as both teams ended the tournament 1-1. Army was 0-2 in the tourney. Danny Dries was named the MVP of the Catamount Cup, with Peter Boyd also earning a spot on the all-tournament team. 
Neither team was able to score in the first period. Ohio State outshot the Black Knights, 11-3, in the period, including 8-0 to start the game. Army had its first shot on net with less than four minutes remaining in the period. There were no power plays in the stanza, with just one set of coincidental penalties called.
Six goals were scored in the middle period, with Ohio State holding a 5-1 advantage after 40 minutes. Just 1:03 into the period Danny Dries scored, set up by Boyd and Alex Szczechura, marking his 11th goal of the year. At 6:27 Army tied the game at 1 when Mark Dube tallied. Ohio State responded with two goals in the next 1:10 to take the lead. Boyd scored at 6:51, assisted by Dries and Szczechura, followed by John Albert’s goal at 7:37, with an assist from Kyle Reed. At 10:27 Severyn made the score 4-1 with his fifth goal of the season, with the helpers going to Kyle Reed and Brandon Martell. The final goal of the stanza came with 60 seconds remaining when Boyd got his second of the game, this time assisted by Alex Carlson and Chris Reed. Shots were 17-6 in favor of Ohio State in the period. The Buckeyes were scoreless on three power play chances, with Army 0-for-1. 
Army cut into the Buckeye lead just 31 seconds into the third period when Mike Santee scored and Mike Henderson drew Army within two with a power-play goal at 11:53. Army could get no closer, despite skating with an empty net for the final 2:10. Army outshot Ohio State in the period, 10-4. Each team had two power-play chances in the stanza. 
Ohio State outshot Army, 32-19, in the game. Heeter played all 60 minutes for the Buckeyes and had 16 saves on 19 shots. For Army, Ryan Leets had 27 saves in 57:50.
The Buckeyes were scoreless on five power-play chances, while the Black Knights were 1-for-3.
Postgame Notes:  Ohio State will be back in action this weekend when it hosts Miami in a two-game CCHA series. The teams will meet at 7:35 p.m. Friday and 7:05 p.m. Saturday in Value City Arena.
Dries, Somma and Albert all share the team scoring lead with 19 points each. Dries and Somma are tied for first with 11 goals each (along with eight assists), while Albert has a 7-12-19 line.
Martell’s assist was the first point of his Buckeye career, while Carlson’s assist was his first this season.
Boyd had his second two-goal and three-point game of the season.
Kyle Reed had his fourth two-assist game and his first since March 6, 2010 vs. Notre Dame.
Severyn posted two assists for the third time in his career and first time since Jan. 8, 2010 vs. Bowling Green.
Dries had his third two-point game in the past four contests. He has 5-2-7 totals in the four games combined. Szczechura had his second collegiate two-point game but first multiple-assist outing.
Albert is on a four-game point streak with a 2-3-5 line in the games combined.