COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio State track and field team wrapped up its first outdoor meet of the season at the Bulls Invitational in Tampa, Fla. on Saturday.
Faith Bender won the women’s discus throw with a personal-best throw of 56.74m, more than five meters further than the runner-up. The women’s 4x100m relay team (Marcia Sey, Yanique Dayle, Janela Spencer and Nya Bussey) also won (44.78). Addie Engel won the women’s 1500m (4:24.96). Dayle also earned an individual win by running an 11.28 in the 100m. The Buckeyes wrapped up the meet by sweeping the 4x400m relay. Jaydan Wood, Bryannia Murphy, Alyssa Marsh and Chanler Robinson’s time (3:35.75) was more than six seconds faster than the runner-up for the women. On the men’s side, Zidane Brown, Antonio Hanson, Armani Modeste and Shohaan Singh (3:09.22) made up the winning squad.
- 1500m: The Buckeye women had the four-fastest times and six of the top-10. Daniella Santos (4:25.84), Gia Napoleon (4:26.56) and Andrea Kuhn (4:27.12) immediately followed Engel’s first-place finish. Akemi Von Scherr (4:31.71) and Carina Napoleon (4:38.83) finished sixth and 10th, respectively. Sean Carney led the Buckeye men by finishing 10th overall (3:57.48).
- 100m: The OSU women had the three best times and five of the top-six performances as Bussey (11.36) and Leah Bertrand (11.41) were second and third, respectively. Marsh finished fifth (11.63) and Columba Effiong was sixth (11.71). Zidane Brown led the OSU men in seventh (10.50).
- 2000m steeplechase: Carney (6:04.39) and Nathaniel Tamminga (6:10.63) finished third and fourth among the men.
- Hurdles: Janela Spencer finished third (13.70) and Chanler Robinson fifth (13.77) in the women’s 100m hurdles.
- 4x400m relay: The Buckeye women’s B relay squad finished sixth (3:50.44) as Sey, Spencer, Effiong and Dayle each ran a leg. The Buckeye men’s B relay squad also finished sixth (3:23.69) with Shaun Miller Jr., Clarence Foote-Talley, Alex Kenish and Ivan Slyepkan running.
- 400m: Evan Matthews led the Buckeye men by finishing eighth (48.60). Amelia Figler represented the Buckeye women (58.78).
- Triple jump: Atinuke Shittu was third in the women’s competition with a best mark of 12.08m.
- Discus throw: In the men’s competition, Carlos Aviles led the Bukeyes by finishing fifth (53.98m).
- High jump: Reign Winston finished sixth on the men’s side, clearing 2.00m. On the women’s side, Faith Hunter tied for seventh by clearing 1.60m.
THOUGHTS ON THE MEET
Director Rosalind Joseph: “I think this training trip was a great start to the outdoor season. We had some great season-opening marks/times and PR’s, but it’s also been nice to get a look at some events that we haven’t seen through indoor season and start to work on those as we prepare for outdoor championships. Every opportunity counts!”
The Buckeyes travel to the Raleigh Relays this upcoming Thursday, Friday and Saturday.