COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio State men’s tennis team opened the season on Wednesday with a pair of impressive victories, downing Northern Kentucky 7-0 in the morning and then trouncing University of Dayton 5-0 in the evening.
In the match with Northern Kentucky, the Buckeyes claimed all three doubles matches as all three played to the finish. James Trotter and redshirt-freshman Andrew Lutschaunig, who was seeing his first action in a team match, rolled 6-2 while Cannon Kingsley and Justin Boulais followed with a 6-1 win on court two. The No. 2 ranked team of John McNally and Robert Cash dropped the first game but stormed back to take the match 6-3.
In singles, it was more of the same as the Buckeyes rolled in all six matches. Kyle Seelig was first off after a 6-0, 6-0 win over Jorge Rodriguez-Agudo on court four. Trotter took care of Anthony Bosch 6-1, 6-3 on court six and Kingsley provided the clinching point on court one with a 6-3, 6-1 win over Nathan Schwartz.
Against Dayton in the night cap, the Buckeyes took care of business on court one and court three to capture a quick doubles point. James Trotter and Justin Boulais posted a 6-1 victory while Kyle Seelig and Robert Cash capped a 6-2 win for the clinching point.
In singles, Cannon Kingsley got the Buckeyes off to hot start with a 6-0,6-0 win over Steven Karl. John McNally kept the fire burning by defeating Connor Bruce 6-2,6-1 to set up Justin Boulais’s clinching point in a 6-1,6-1 victory over Joe DeMarco. Robert Cash would then close out Will Harper 6-0, 6-1 to bring the Buckeyes to a 5-0 victory over Dayton.
#6 Ohio State 7, Northern Kentucky 0
1. #16 Cannon Kingsley (OSU) def. Nathan Schwartz (NKU) 6-3, 6-1
2. #24 John McNally (OSU) def. Emilien Burnel (NKU) 6-0, 6-3
3. Justin Boulais (OSU) def. Andrew Neihaus (NKU) 7-6 (7-3), 6-0
4. #28 Kyle Seelig (OSU) def. J. Rodriguez Agudo (NKU) 6-0, 6-0
5. Robert Cash (OSU) def. Brandon Ponomarew (NKU) 6-1, 6-2
6. #40 James Trotter (OSU) def. Anthony Bosch (NKU) 6-1, 6-3
1. #2 John McNally/Robert Cash (OSU) def. Nathan Schwartz/Emilien Burnel (NKU) 6-3
2. Cannon Kingsley/Justin Boulais (OSU) def. Brandon Ponomarew/J. Rodriguez Agudo (NKU) 6-1
3. James Trotter/Andrew Lutschaunig (OSU) def. Andrew Neihaus/Nick Elleman (NKU) 6-2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (4,6,1,5,2,3)
Official: Mark Anderson T-1:47 A-61
#6 Ohio State 5, Dayton 0
1. #24 John McNally (OSU)def. Connor Bruce (DAY)) 6-2, 6-1
2. #16 Cannon Kingsley (OSU) def. Steven Karl (DAY) 6-0, 6-0
3.#28 Kyle Seelig (OSU) unf. Matt DeMarco (DAY) 6-0, 4-5
4. Justin Boulais(OSU) def. Joe DeMarco (DAY) 6-1,6-1
5. Robert Cash (OSU) def. Will Harper (DAY) 6-0, 6-1
6. Andrew Lutschaunig (OSU) unf. Georgi Mavrodiev (DAY) 7-5, 3-0
1. James Trotter/Justin Boulais (OSU) def. Joe DeMarco/Matt DeMarco (DAY) 6-1
2. John McNally/Cannon Kingsley (OSU) unf.Steven Karl/Georgi Mavrodiev(DAY) *2-3
3. Kyle Seelig/Robert Cash (OSU) def. Connor Bruce/Oliver Dunne (DAY) 6-2
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (2,1,4,5)
Official: Mark Anderson T-1:21 A- 72