Ohio State vs. USC Upstate
Date: May 19, 2022 | Time: 6:05 | BTN+ | Scoring/Listen |
Ohio State – Nate Haberthier (So. | RHP | 0-4 | 6.35 ERA | 56.2 IP | 42 K | 13 BB)
USC Upstate – Noah Sullivan (Fr. | RHP | 5-0 | 3.00 ERA | 21.0 IP | 18 K | 7 BB)
Date: May 20, 2022 | Time: 6:05 | BTN+ | Scoring/Listen |
Ohio State – Isaiah Coupet (So. | LHP | 3-5 | 5.91 ERA | 53.1 IP | 84 K | 33 BB)
USC Upstate – Sawyer Worrell (RS-So. | LHP | 3-1 | 4.59 ERA | 33.1 IP | 34 K | 14 BB)
Date: May 21, 2022 | Time: 1:05 | BTN+ | Scoring/Listen |
Ohio State – Wyatt Loncar (Jr. | RHP | 2-4 | 4.56 ERA | 51.1 IP | 73 K | 30 BB)
USC Upstate – Jacob Curry (Grad. | RHP | 5-3 | 4.91 ERA | 77.0 IP | 46 K | 14 BB)
Rosters: Ohio State | USC Upstate
Season Stats: Ohio State | USC Upstate
Game Notes: Ohio State | USC Upstate
COLUMBUS, Ohio – Ohio State will close the season this weekend by hosting a three-game non-conference series against USC Upstate. The season begins on Thursday and will run through Saturday. First pitch for the first two games will be at 6:05 and Saturday’s finale will start at 1:05. Saturday will also be senior day as the program will recognize five players prior to the game.
Ohio State Quick Hitters
- Ohio State comes into the final weekend of the season at 20-29 overall. The Buckeyes are 3-3 on the current nine-game home stand and have won the last three games.
- The Buckeyes are coming off a 5-3 victory over Cincinnati on Tuesday night. Mitchell Okuley had three hits, including a game-tying two-run home run. He has seven homers on the season which is third-most on the team.
- Zach Dezenzo hit .474 (9-of-19) with four home runs, a double, triple and nine runs batted in last week in five games. Had a hit in all five games last week and another against Cincinnati on Tuesday to extend his hitting streak to a career-high 17 games. He also homered in all three games of the Buckeyes series win over Penn State, including twice in the series finale.
- Dezenzo has 17 home runs on the season which is two away from Dan Seimetz single-season school record of 19 in 1997. For his career, he has 36 home runs which is fourth-most in school history and one behind Jeff King (1981-84) for third and three behind Scott Kaczmar (1992-95) for second.
- Brent Todys, last week’s Big Ten Player of the Week, is hitting .308 on the season and has nine multi-hit games this season.
- Marcus Ernst has a team-high 21 multi-hit games and continues to lead the team with a .344 average.
- Archer Brookman is two points away from hitting .300 on the year. He is currently on a career-high nine-game hitting streak and has reached base in each of the last 11. He has had two hits in four of the nine games during his streak.
- Sophomore lefty Isaiah Coupet has struck-out 91 batters in 59.1 innings. He is first in the Big Ten and seventh in the country in strikeouts per nine innings at 13.80.
- Wyatt Loncar has went 5.0 innings in five of his last six starts and is right behind Coupet in strikeouts per nine innings at 12.80 which is second in the B1G. He has 73 punchouts in 51.1 innings.
- Ethan Hammerberg picked up his team-leading sixth save of the year vs. Cincinnati on Tuesday. He is tied for the most appearances on the team with 24 and has 47 strikeouts and just eight walks on the season.
- USC Upstate enters the final weekend of the regular season at 33-19-1 overall and has won six of its last eight games, which also includes a tie.
- The Spartans are led offensively by Devin Buckner (.332) and Noah Myers (.321). Buckner has seven homes runs and 49 runs batted in. He is also the toughest player in the Big South Conference to strikeout at 11.7 at-bats per K. Myers has a team-high 67 hits and eight home runs.
- Starter Noah Sullivan has made seven appearances on the season and has a 5-0 record with a 3.00 ERA. Jacob Curry has a 5-3 record and a 4.93 ERA in 77.0 innings. Curry is second in the Big South in walks per nine innings at 1.64.
- USC Upstate has two common opponents with the Buckeyes. The Spartans beat Cincinnati on March 14 and then were swept in a three-game series by Campbell on April 9-11.
- Saturday will be Senior Day at Bill Davis Stadium. The program will honor Colton Bauer, Archer Brookman, Aaron Funk, Griffan Smith and Brent Todys.
- Bauer has played in 81 games for the Buckeyes entering the weekend, including 67 starts. He has a .257 averaged with six homers and 11 doubles.
- Brookman joined the program in 2020 after transferring from Seminole State. He has appeared in 73 games and is enjoying his best season as a Buckeye. Brookman is hitting .298 this season with nine doubles, a pair of home runs and18 runs batted in. He enters the final weekend on a career-high nine-game hitting streak.
- Funk played the last four seasons at Arkansas Little Rock before joining Ohio State in January. He was the 2021 Preseason Sun Belt Pitcher of the Year and made 47 appearances for the Trojans. This season, he has started six games and has made 13 appearances. He holds a 5.91 ERA with 28 strikeouts in 32.0 innings.
- Smith is a two-time captain who has appeared in a team-high 66 games for in his five years, including 24 starts and two complete games. He was named to the 2019 Big Ten All-Tournament Team after going 2-0 with a combined 1.42 ERA with 16 strikeouts in 12.2 innings.
- Todys has been a mainstay behind the plate for the Buckeyes over the last four years. He has played in 141 games and has over 503 at-bats. The Westerville, Ohio native is having a career year as he’s hitting .308 with four homers and nine runs batted in.
Dezenzo on the Career Home run Chart
- Senior Zach Dezenzo has shot up the OSU career home run chart.
- He is 4th in program history with 36 career home runs and is just two away from tying for second all-time.
- On April 19 vs. Marshall, he picked-up his 150th career hit, a double on the first pitch he saw in the bottom of the first. He currently has 178 career hits.
OSU Career Home Run Chart
- Dan Seimetz 1995-98 52
- Scott Kaczmar 1992-95 39
- Jeff King 1981-84 37
- Zach Dezezno 2018-Pres. 36
OSU Single-Season Home Run Chart
- Dan Seimetz 1997 19
- Scott Kaczmar 1994 18
- Mike Lockwood 1998 18
- Scott Kaczmar 1995 17
- Alex Eckelman 1997 17
- Jason Turner 2000 17
- Zach Dezezno 2022 17