Oct. 15, 2011

Box Score

COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio State men’s hockey defeated No. 2-ranked Notre Dame, 4-3, Saturday night in the Joyce Center on the Notre Dame campus to earn a series split with the Irish. The Buckeyes led 2-0 after the first period and 4-0 after the second. Notre Dame added three goals in the third period, drawing within one with 1:25 remaining, but Ohio State was able to shut the door and post the conference win. Ohio State and Notre Dame both are 2-2 overall this year and 1-1 in CCHA play.

Freshman Max McCormick led the way with a power-play goal and two helpers, while classmate Ryan Dzingel had a tally and an assist. Freshman Matt Johnson also scored for the Buckeyes and junior Devon Krogh had a power-play goal of his own. The Irish scored an early goal in the third for a 4-1 Buckeye advantage. Notre Dame then scored at 17:16 to draw within two and added an extra-attacker tally for a one-goal contest with 1:25 remaining. Ohio State was able to hold off the Irish for the final 85 seconds.

Johnson put Ohio State in the lead at 6:30 of the first period, scoring on an assist from McCormick. With the Buckeyes on the power play, McCormick then found Krogh for a one-timer at 12:02. Dzingel had the second assist on the goal that gave the Buckeyes a 2-0 lead. Senior goalie Cal Heeter stopped all six shots he faced in the period, as Ohio State outshot the Irish, 9-6.

McCormick scored a goal of his own at 5:06, converting on a backhand off assists from senior Danny Dries and sophomore Chris Crane with Ohio State on a 5×3 power play. Dzingel extended the Buckeye lead to four with an unassisted goal following a forced turnover. Heeter had eight saves in the period, with the Buckeyes leading in shots, 9-8, in the stanza.

In the third, the Irish got on the board at 4:38 on a 5×3 power-play goal from Riley Sheahan. Notre Dame scored twice in the final 2:44 to draw within one. At 17:16 Stephen Johns scored and then at 18:35 Austin Wuthrich tallied with the Irish net empty for a one-goal game with 1:25 remaining. Ohio State was able to hold off the Irish, with six skaters on, and close out the game to notch the victory. Shots were 14-4 in favor of the Irish in the stanza, with Heeter making 11 saves.

Ohio State was outshot, 28-22, in the game. Heeter ended the contest with 25 saves in all 60 minutes. For the Irish, Steve Summerhays started and played the first 31:08, allowing all four Buckeye goals and making 11 saves to suffer the loss. Mike Johnson played 27:15 and stopped all 14 shots he faced. Ohio State blocked 25 shots in the game, led by sophomore defenseman Curtis Gedig with five, with senior Sean Duddy and freshman Al McLean blocking four each. Krogh and freshman Chad Niddery each had three blocks. In all, 10 Buckeyes blocked at least one shot in the win.

The contest had 17 power plays, with Ohio State 2-for-8 and Notre Dame 1-for-9 with the man advantage.

The Buckeyes will be back in action at Michigan State, facing off in a Thursday/Friday series. Game time both night is 7:05 p.m. The Thursday contest will be broadcast by Comcast (Channel 900 in Michigan). The radio call will be on 1460 AM in Columbus and on line for free at

Postgame Notes
• McCormick had the first multiple-point game of his career and the first three-point game for a Buckeye this season. He is first on the squad with three assists this season.
• Dzingel has two two-point games in his four-game collegiate career. He has a team-best three goals and five points this year.
• The game was the last in the 43-year history of the Joyce Center. Ohio State and Notre Dame also faced off in the final regular-season series for Ohio State in the OSU Ice Rink.
• Three of the four power-play goals in the series were scored 5-on-3, with two for the Irish and one for Ohio State.
• Krogh’s goal was his first since Oct. 9, 2010 at Quinnipiac.
• The win was the Buckeyes’ first over a team ranked second nationally since March 13, 2010 when it defeated Miami in the CCHA tournament quarterfinals.